Memory stick PRO DUO vs. Memory stick DUO?

seaflower

I have a new Sony Cybershot W80 and it says on the camera it takes Memory stick DUO. Was going to order some from the internet but can't find the exact one. Is "pro duo" compatible with "pro"?

Are there any limitation on the size of the stick the camera can take (I saw 4GB pro duo ones)

Ahhh, why so many different formats?!:(

Any use?

Sometimes it's difficult to ascertain precisely any memory speed or addressing limitations of devices that use flash memory cards. :(

Thanks ClubMan, I did google it and checked Wikippedea as well:)
It seems they should be compatible, just was hoping somebody would know from first hand experience as I don't always believe what the web says. Anyway, will order the 4GB one from the web and let you know in a week or two.

Hi
You can use the pro duo in the w80 and it is tested to take up to 8gigs.
The pro duo is smaller than the reg memory sticks but comes with an adapter to use on cameras that will support the pro duo. the older model sonys dont accept the pro.I have 3 sonys and only 2 will accept the pro duo.I also have the w80.are u happy with it? Basicaly there's 3 types . memory stick.memory stick duo and memory stick pro duo.cameras using the mem stick usually accept mem duo but not pro.while cameras using the duo will accept the pro using the adaptor.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation, tylerdylan! Only got my w80 today so have no feedback yet, but a friend has it and loves it. I usually only use the auto settings, and wanted a small camera, but have to admit this one feels a bit too small. Do you like it?

Any idea where can I get the 8GB memory from, I've seen up to 4GB online but know that Sony released 8GB.

yes I am happy with it.I just think the cover over the battery is a bit flimsy and toyish! I see on the sony.com site the 8 gig card is $199.99
You could try ebay or if somone was going to the US might get it for you?

Having said that a 4 gig is really more than enough for most people
So wait a while using the 4 and see how you get on.
Best of luck.
Tylerdylan

Back