Memory Cards for Digital Cameras

H

holly23

Have decided on buying the a Panasonic digital camera from pixmania.

They also do bundles that includes a pixmania branded 256mb memory card.

Would this card be as good as any ?
What are the differences between different brands of 256mb memory cards?

Also do I need a memory card ?

Thanks

Also do I need a memory card ?
Only if you want to take photographs ;) - you'll need somewhere to store them! Camera's tend to come with very limited memory so you have to buy some more. From my experience one card is the same as the next - I certainly haven't had any issues with any I've bought and I normally go for the cheaper option. Compare the value provided in the bundled offering with the cards available from shop4memory.com.

Sorry that should have been

Do I need a memory card READER :eek: ??

Not if the camera provides another way to transfer snaps to the PC (e.g. FireWire) I presume?

The included software is
USB driver, SD viewer, Arcsoft Photobase/Impression/Panorama Makerx

Would that do the job ?
Thanks, I am clueless about these things

thanks a mill !

You'd need to read the manual and check what the options are for connection to the PC. Sounds like USB is supported but precisely how (e.g. what software you need to install etc.) should be explained in the manual.

I think most digital cameras appear to the host PC as a removable drive. I don't know if Panasonic is any different. If they explicitly say they provide a USB driver, it might be proprietary that they developed themselves. I wouldn't think so. Maybe if you post a link to the deal or tell us the model number we could find out more.

If, indeed, your camera appears on the PC as a removable drive (as if it was a memory stick for example) then you should be able to read the memory card that way (treating the camera as a card reader).

Consider [broken link removed] when looking for card memory.

Thanks for all the replies

Father Dougal the camera I'm looking at is

If you could have a look I'd really appreciate it as I'm bamboozled by the PC stuff :eek:

Well it's warmly received [broken link removed]. One of the customers posted about the USB functionality and it sounds like it is picked up by Windows (XP etc.) as a removable device.

Looks nice :)

It gets an excellent review here, too. And yes, in response to your earlier query, the FZ3 and FZ3-EGS are the same model. That Pixmania price of €405 incl. 256Mb card and case is very good value! :)

Also - most cameras that use an USB connection come with a CD (or mini-CD) containing drivers which may be necessary for Win98/Me users, but not if you have WinXP...

Panasonic and usb

I have the FZ20 and I simply connect th camera to the PC and it appears as another hard diske

p

Re: Panasonic and usb

Thanks for all the replies...I spent ages researching and this one does seem to come out on top in a lot of places.

Thanks again :)

Memory cards

Recently bought from shop4memory.com and bubbled envelope arrived next day.

Re: Memory cards

bought a SM cardreader on ebay for 12$ and it is so handy - don't have to wait for camera to download... etc ... it shows up on my computer as external drive. Worth looking into - you can use it using USB cables.

Also discovered that there is software out there (don't know the name but photographer with sunday newspaper told me!) to retrieve lost images from a memory card - even if the card has been formatted..! Technology!

Back