Memory Capacity on iPods

boris

Got an 30Gb iPod lately and have been playing around with it.

Deleted all the music I had off it and it is telling me on the status bar that I have only 13.9 free and 14.0 used. That still leaves circa 2 Gb missing.

Am I right in saying that the part being used is for the operating system and what can I do to get more memory.

There is no way to increase memory capacity on ipods rather than buying a new one. If you are having trouble fitting all your music on you could try lowering the bitrate at which you convert music from cds to the computer which slightly reduces quality but decreases the size of the files allowing you to fit more on.

as far as i know you are right about space been used for the operating system. I got the 60GB and was told I had 58GB free space (or something like that) and made the same assumption.

Squonk said:
That's some operating system if it uses 2GB !!

I have the iPod Video 30Gb and it actually has a capacity of 27.8Gb, I am not sure if the 2.2 Gb are really what the OS takes, or just that it's easy to sell them as 30gb instead of the 27.8gb. At home we have an XboX360 with a hard drive, and have the same "issue", the capacity advertised it's not the real capacity of the hard drive

I believe this is a general issue with hard disks, manufactures advertise 1GB as 1,000,000,000 where as it's really 1024*1024*1024.

If I do the sums, 30GB comes out at 27.94 GB

If you have a look at this article, it should make things a little easier to understand when it comes to hard drive capacity.

That figures, bought a 250G hard disk at Lidl a while back, manual says it is actually 232.8 G (it's explained by the fact manafacturer's use 1000 bytes / 1 Kilobyte whereas it is actually 1024 bytes)

Most the time I see the manufacturer's put a disclaimer that 1GB = 1,000,000,000 so I presume that covers them legally, however I personally feel it is unfortunate that Microsoft etc. use one definition for the OS and the disk manufacturers use another for the disk size, they should all standardise on one.

Back