meetings as gaeilge

pops

We have recently formed a Parents Association in our gaeltacht-based national school. The school has just pointed out that all our meetings should be conducted in Irish as part of the school's Irish policy. Our meetings are often held in members' houses and not all of the members speak Irish although we always have the minutes as gaeilge. So, can the school force us to hold the meetings in Irish? Anyone else been in a situation like this?

Did the school request that a parents association be setup? If not then the school would need to explain how its policies would impact any meetings of aforementioned association.

If the meetings were held in English would that be against the wishes of any of the other parents? Or perhaps the Irish speakers would be expected to accomodate the English-only speakers.

No, the school weren't too enthusiastic about it either, but is happy enough to accept the extra cash raised by the PA. No other parents have expressed any problems about the language as far as we know.

Will any school kids be there? I see no problem in meetings being in English - especially if the school is not involved in the organisation of the PA and if some of the parents don't have Irish. Have a vota - Sea/Ni Hea/Ni thuigim. :)

No kids at meetings. All the parents accept the Irish langugage policy of the school but feel that the school cannot demand that Irish be the main language of the parents ass. Some of the members are from uk, some are french, one is polish!

The education act section on parents' associations http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1998/en/act/pub/0051/sec0026.html doesn't mention anything about languages.

Perhaps the National Parents Council Primary - [broken link removed] - may be able to help you? I don't know if they require you to be a member before they will give any advice though.

This school [broken link removed] has their meetings in English.

Hope the above helps.

My children attend a Gaelscoil and the school policy is to encourage the use of Irish by all visitors, including parents, in and around the school, particularly when the children are within earshot. However, it is understood that not everyone is fluent in Irish and all efforts are encouraged, in my own case I can respond to simple, straightforward questions, when it becomes too complicated the conversation can become bilingual!

With our Parent Association Meetings we usually attempt to use some irish, when welcoming everyone, some items are discussed in english and irish, and the cupla focal are thrown in when possible. Efforts are made not to exclude anyone. It can be daunting, but I would say make the effort to use some irish whenever you get the opportunity, like at these meetings, its worth it. You get more comfortable with the basics and its encouraging for your children to see and hear you take an interest....half the time I'm asking my 8 and 9 year old children how to say particular things before I call into the classroom to chat to the Muinteoir and they get a great kick out of teaching Mum how to speak Irish.

IMO, compromise may well be necessary on the part of the school in order to retain parents on the parents association. It can be hard enough after a while to keep a parents association running without additional barriers for volunteers i.e. language.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that busymum and I think compromise is the way to go.
I haven't heard of a gaeltacht-based NS in which irish isn't the main language clubman, but I'm open to correction here. Usually the Nat. Schools in the gaeltacht get extra funding to encourage them to keep the standards of Irish up. Don't know if this is the same for the Gaelscoileanna.

Back