Medical Records

M

maryconroy

How long does a medical centre need to keep your medical records for? I got vaccinations back in 2003/4 and they have no record. Is there anything I can do or whom should I speak to?

How long does a medical centre need to keep your medical records for? I got vaccinations back in 2003/4 and they have no record. Is there anything I can do or whom should I speak to?

The HSE policy on Record Retention states a minimum of 8 years after last contact or death(for non hospital records). So, in your case, it seems that you are just outside the minimum time but it is also possible they just can't find them. Make an FOI or Data Protection request for the records - FOI is free, DP €6.35. That helps to concentrate the minds and you will have a right of appeal to Information Commissioner.

Did you not get a "vaccination passport". I've had various travel vaccinations over the past 8 years and the doctor gave me a booklet where he filled in the details of the jabs and also any boosters, and noted how long each one would protect me.

Back