Medical cover travelling in Europe

dewdrop

Is the basic medical cover provided by VHI policies in the region of 65K considered adequate for european travel or should one take out further cover which is usually for 5Million plus

You should apply for an EHIC card which allows you to use the public health system of any EU country. www.ehic.ie

For most circumstances this and the basic VHI coverage will be fine.

The risk that is not covered is that you have a bad accident and need to be transported back to Ireland by air ambulance.

My friend recently had an accident (nothing major) in France but required an ambulance to take her to hospital, a two night stay in hospital plus Xrays and minor surgery.

Her EHIC covered 80% of her stay in hospital,VHI covered the rest of it and her holiday insurance covered the re-arranged flight home

We had a peculiar situation in Spain about 5 years ago. Our friend had a bad chest infection but no travel insurance or EHIC. We rolled up to a new private clinic in Torrevieja and offered to pay cash but no, they were only interested in travel or health insurance. We would have taken him to the public hospital, a few miles away but we had a tee time!

On another occasion, we took the young lad to a private clinic in salou for ear infection. When I asked how much it would costv they asked to see my travel insurance which had an excess of €100, so that was what they charged! Second visit was free though!

i got travel ins from chill for less than €10 and was great for hols this year.....

I saw the EHIC working in reverse here in Ireland. Spanish girl looked after very well when she produced the card.