Media Streaming and Wiring

paintpotmen

Hi we are about to start the chasing work on our new build,

I'm having some difficulties getting my head round the whole cabeling issue and how it all works ;

We plan to put the following in;

Sky plus in comms room upstairs to provide tv to bedrooms
Sky plus in office to provide tv for office, kitchen and sitting room
I plan to use and infa red extender to control these boxes from different rooms- Can anyone advice what cables are best to run from the sky box to the tv's to carry the signal? how is the signal split between the different cables?

We also plan to put all our DVDs, CD's on a media server in the comms room and would like to be able to access this from each room. Can anyone advice how we do this? do we have to use a media centre with streaming like xbox and have one in each room? Can xboxes be used to access the media/cd/dvds on the central server upstairs?

For access to different music in each room (Speakers in ceilings) does anyone know how best to achieve this? is this also linked to the xbox?

We would like to access our cctv on our tv's can this be done with network cameras?

We would also like to have a blueray palyer in the comms room and the office, is there a special type of cabel i should be running for the hidef signal?

Sorry for the long-windedness but we're struggling with this!!

Thanks in advance

in fairness, if you're trying to get all that done, and it sounds like you don't really know what you're at, maybe it's worth talking to an installer? you've got the right idea on some of it, you can have the central storage, xboxes will strem them for you if you mod them and get xbmc running on them, know then you'll need a dsiplay in every room to see what to select. also xbox360 can run as a media extender with no modding, but then you need a host pc runnin mce to stream from. with the modded xbox you can run off a nas and need no pc running Also an xbox can't drive a set of in wall speakers, you need an amplifer to drive in wlls, unless you get a pair with in built amplifiers

sky box will need a distribution amp in the attic or somewhere, run ct100 or equivalent, run at least 3 cables from the attic to whereever there will be a physical sky box, 4 is better, and then a run from attic to every room.

don't try and feed the output from a bluray player around the house, more effort than it is worth. Put one in the room you want to use, get a hdmi cable and hook it to tv. Decent quality long hdmi cables are expensive, and once you go over 3/4m you want to avoid cheap ass cables. if you want bluray in another room that bad buy a player. distribution amps for hdmi aint cheap...

Back