mechanics liability or warranty ?

R

rodriquez

hi there,

was wondering if anyone on here knows where i would stand in a situation like this. my hyundai santa fe was repaired 4 weeks ago to the cost of 1200 euros. some of the engine rockers had to be replaced. then last week, the same symptoms happened again, we had to get the jeep towed back to the garage again. we were told that this time a different set of rockers had gone and this had caused the piston to go though some part of the engine, rendering it destroyed. so we now have to get a replacement engine, i don't even know how much that is going to cost yet.
my question is this, could the garage in any way be held liable for the work they carried out the first time round? or do we just have to suck it up and pay out for the new engine as if they had nothing to do with the work a few weeks previously?
thanks in advance for any help/advise

Is it worth contacting your insurance company?

unfortunately, most insurance companies don't cover things like this, including my insurance company.

was wondering if i would have any come back using the "Sale of Goods and supply of services act 1980" or if anyone has ever tried this in a similar situation?

Having a problem with my own Hyundai. Job previously repaired has gone again. It's under warranty for another few months but the garage aren't being too helpful and won't give a courtesy car (full warranty?? would have thought I'd get one for 3 day!). Happened first at start Jan and again at start Feb. I haven't handed it in again yet. I plan to get onto the customer service person first and complain.
In answer to your question though- a mechanic friend told me that if i goes again that I would be entitled to a refund under the sale of goods act. Ring SIMI and see what they say. Would have thought you'd get more joy from a main dealer rather than flash harry garage.. but the way things are at the moment, I don't think they want to see people coming back with costly problems.

Back