Mecedes CLS 320 CDI. Looking to buy.

hayabusa

Hi
I am looking to buy a 2007 reg mercedes CLS 320CDI in the new year.
Anyone had one ?
Appreciate feedback in relation to problems, what to look out for, Etc etc.

Any feed back appreciated.
Thanks

Its a 3.2 litre diesel, not a CLS 500 AMG, with all that implies if you're after ultimate performance and not worried about running costs.

That having been said I've been in the "ordinary" 500 CLS (not AMG!) and found it a generously sized car with amazing performance - not as clever on twisty stuff as smaller, lighter cars, but plenty of stop and go.

One of its problems on Irish roads is the sheer width of the thing - its not quite as wide as a supercar, but people with fast, wide cars always seem to forget the number of times they'll NEED their brakes because of the width of the vehicle.

One of the sleekest cars on the market, whatever the engine, and if you can live with the more pedestrian performance of the diesel you can portray yourself as a "concerned" rich git, as opposed to a totally over the top type.

Part of the sleekness is the length and even dedicated parking spaces can be a problem if access to them is tight, the legendary turning circle abilities of RWD Mercs notwithstanding - still, just learn to park further away and get fitter!

*Do* remember we are in a recession and if you regularly park this in areas where people are feeling more and more annoyed at the current economic situation, you may be visited with someone's unwelcome boot or key on the paintwork.

This happened to a more mundane e-class owner I know at the height of the tiger, and I expect that the feelings that motivated his cars dents may be running higher today - just be careful where you park.

Enjoy it while you can, before emissions control ruin motoring for everyone.

As for problems - its a Merc and things occasionally can go wrong and they're seldom cheap to fix - here are some links

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evolongtermtests/209307/mercedes_cls_350_cgi.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_CLS-Class

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w219-cls-class/1230853-cls500-transmission-problems-anyone.html

Last edited:
As well as what ONQ has stated, the 2007 model has been replaced, and whilst the model you require / wish should be well priced, as its an old model, i'd say you should pick one up for nothing.

Thanks folks,
I am looking specifcally at the 320CDI which has a 3l diesel engine. Point taken in relation to where to park etc.
When I go looking for one next year I would like to have an idea what to look for in relation to mechanical problems. what parts have given trouble in the past, engine problems, gearbox problems. etc etc.

Thanks folks

Not been rude, but you're thinking of buying a car that will be a least five years old with extensive mileage. Some of the links already provided should give you a lead but Mercedes engines are normally fine but the electrics and suspension are prone to giving trouble.

FWIW you should consider buying a car from a Mercedes dealer who will offer you some kind of warranty. The ML from 06 onwards are good cars with little engine problems but some small electrical problems. In fairness there will be probles with all makes of cars 5 years old.

Back