Meat products vacuum packed

M

maria

Does anyone know if it is ok to bring vacuum packed meat products (sausages, pudding etc) to the States?

It is ok if you buy them at the airport.

Marion :hat

Marion, do you know why? - That doesn't see very fair, just a money making scam!

Why ?

Maria,

As far as I know it is because the products have to be sold with a document that certifies their safety/authenticity etc. for the US Customs/Dept. of Agriculture . Only the "Wrights of Howth" shops in Dublin Airport give out these certs that I am aware of - I dont' think any non airport retailers issue these certs .

Re: Why ?

Apparently the shops will sell you the product but you are not allowed to bring any meat or meat products, or dairy products into the U.S. even with a certificate. A friend of mine got caught recently with the good old rashers and sausages by US Customs in JFK. They confiscated them from him and fined him to boot! (Probably had a good fry-up themselves!) When he came back he checked with the American Embassy and found out that US Customs were correct and he wasn't. So out of pocket on two counts!

Re: Why ?

So what your saying is that not even food from Wrights of Howth would be allowed in the US?