Measuring Thickness Of Window Glass Unit

Lex Foutish

The glass unit in my kitchen window is not the recommended (and optimum) 24mm width (two 4mm panes with a 16mm space between them). I think it's 20mm, maybe even 18mm. Short of going to a glass company, is there any everyday device I can use for measuring the width of glass units in a window?

To replace the entire window with one with 24mm glass units would be expensive and I'd lose a few tiles that I couldn't replace. I'm thinking of just replacing the glass units with low e glass (e.g., Pilkington K, etc.) ones.

Has anyone done this with narrower units like mine?

Hi Lex

Are your windows made of PVC, aluminium or wood? If PVC or aluminium then you're probably out of luck. If they're wood then a deeper unit may be possible, depending on the rebate depth.

The existing units are measured in situ by "eyeball". Glass is almost always 4mm, so the spacer bar is the determining factor. Go to a fabricators near you and ask for some offcuts of spacer bar in the standard thicknesses for comparison.

Why would you bother? The energy savings are minimal, unless you have very, very large windows.

Thanks, Mystic Oil. The windows are white pvc. They're externally glazed. I've seen glass units like mine popped out and replaced in the past.

Good idea about eyeballing it but the spacer bar isn't silver like most windows. In fact, it's very difficult to see because what's there is a dark colour.

Interesting last line in your post. I would have thought that K Glass would increase the insulating properties of the unit considerably, but maybe you're right. The window itself has a large pane with a top and side section also. It's approx 100 inches by 40 inches in total. Do you think this isn't large enough to replace?

I haven't priced replacement glass units. I'm sure that it'd take ages for me to recoup the cost but I was thinking long term.

I should also tell you that I have a Venetian type metal blind which I've always thought had to work in a similar way to the way K Glass does, which would further support your arguement for not replacing anything.

Thanks again,

Lex.

The difference in u-value between a 24mm unit and a 20mm unit would be minimal.

Look for a better glass than K-glass, that is old now and there are more efficient ones on the market. I have K-glass in my house which is heading for 11 years old. The glass that I would recomend is Optiwhite/swiss/Argon/Optitherm or a simular composition. As K-glass has a slight green tinge, white behind it looks dirty (i.e. blinds, curtain lining), the Opti glasses are much clearer. Worth having a quick read through pilkington's web site.

Back