mcwilliam and lenihan

capall

what do people think about mcwilliams revelations this weekend

its pretty cheap on his part i think, i have lost alot of respect for the guy

Yeah, Brian must be really embarrassed about the whole Garlic thing;)

Cheap shots alright; possibly deserved. Neither party emerges from the episode with any great credit.

The whole thing has become a bit crass.

Given the circumstances, McWilliams should never have revealed details of conversations/visits/exchanges he had in the context of trying to address the country's economic circumstances. His own agenda is clearly more important to him than the state of the country's finances and his interventions must now be regarded (if ever there was any real doubt) as cynically self-serving.

Regardless of whether he was right or wrong in his interpretation of what took place, he's revealed himself as someone who can't be trusted.

The response of the FFers has been pretty predictable. Why he felt he could say what he said and be left unchallenged is anyone's guess.

I see he's now to become the permanent host of "The Panel". That should add to his academic credentials.

He's definitely damaged himself. Even before he property bubble burst he was unbelievably smug, I think his recent success has gone straight to his brain and he's now undergoing his own hubris period, he is the man with the answers to all the worlds ills.

One wonders has he, or will he, correctly call his own market crash?

I've always liked the way he manages to make the whole boring topic ( well to me anyway) of Economics sound interesting to the man on the street.

However i was disappointed to read about where he revealed details of his meetings with the Minister and wondered about why he would do this .

what do people think about mcwilliams revelations this weekend

its pretty cheap on his part i think, i have lost alot of respect for the guy

I never had any for him in the first place. As I've said before he's the Katie Price of Economics.

I never had any for him in the first place. As I've said before he's the Katie Price of Economics.
Very succinctly put. The guy is a bounder. As for his exhortations - everything is cyclical. He's been bleating about the demise of the celtic tiger the day after it was born. He also got kudos (wrongly) for being the father of that expression.

Yes, i think this has been a major lapse of judgement on mcwilliams part.

I havent heard anyone trying to defend his actions .

I wonder will it help or hinder his book sales

Agreed. If he was made of chocolate he would eat himself. I think he has damaged himself more by this than he has damaged Brian Lenihan.

According to George Lee On Vincent Browne, what has happened after the devising of the blanket guarantee,Mcwilliams feels Lenihan doesn't deserve the encounter to be kept private.

Does anybody think that Mr. Mc Williams sounded very unlike his normal self when he was interviewed by Marian Finucane on Sunday morning? I thought that he sounded very guarded and deliberate. Not the usual confident delivery, I thought he sounded a bit rattled, and gave a very unconvincing reason why he revealed that a meeting had taken place.

When Marian read him a message that had been sent by Willie O Dea ( although, now that I think about it, it was a bit unusual ), saying that the love affair of Mc Williams and Mc Williams will go on and on, he was really stung, by the sound of his reply - " When I have to start taking economic advice from the likes of Willie O Dea........."

I'm by no means affiliated to any political party but I have the utmost sympathy for Brian lenihan in this case. McWilliam's revelations were cheap and totally unwarranted with the sole purpose of improving book sales.

In my opinon I think it reflected a degree of humility on Lenihan's part to approach McWilliams for an economic opinon in the first place.

It definititely lessens his credibility - his comments about Miriam O'Callaghan were very gossipy and unprofessional.

his comments about Miriam O'Callaghan were very gossipy and unprofessional.

Without wanting them repeated in detail or anything, was it about her interviewing style/related to journalism, or was it just more inappropriate "revelations".

i'm by no means affiliated to any political party but i have the utmost sympathy for brian lenihan in this case. Mcwilliam's revelations were cheap and totally unwarranted with the sole purpose of improving book sales.

In my opinon i think it reflected a degree of humility on lenihan's part to approach mcwilliams for an economic opinon in the first place.

+1

But McWilliams wrote: "Miriam winks, with a faint pout and the casual lick of those hyper-glossed lips. You're mine now, boy, she signals. This is my web you've just walked into. Clothes on or off."
But he also notes that despite using a "High School Musical twang" she had him "by the balls" during an interview in which she asked him if he thought "real workin' people were dumb" for investing in houses.

Saw mcwilliams on the panel he does seem very contrite about misdemeanours. I guess anyone can make a mistake. as they said on the show it's not like he screwed up the economy

Heard him on Matt Cooper yesterday. I dunno. It really seemed to me like a lot of his answers were very contrived, politician-like almost - more concerned with sounding omniscient than with giving an informative response some of the time. He's always been like this IMO but he seems to be getting much worse.

I don't know enough about economics to provide anything resembling an in depth critique of what he was saying - and a lot of his views did make sense to me anyway - but where are the other economic commentators? Who agrees or disagrees with him and why? Can they not speak up?

By most accounts DMcW is well informed with very solid background/experience but he isn't God!!

I know he is very media present, but are other economists getting a say anywhere? Maybe they are and they just off my radar...

Back