McCartney at RDS very expensive

• Thread starter Chocks away
  • Start date
C

Chocks away

This morning I called in to Ticketmaster at the Square. Cheapest seats €138. Standing €83. I had assumed that the cheaper tickets would be seating also. Am I being naive? Or am I being mean? I and a friend had decided to see him but €83 for standing for a few hours? You gotta be joking.

I wouldn't pay €8.30 to hear that dinosaur.

Wrote some good songs in his day but he's a terrible singer.

that dinosaur.

he's a terrible singer.

Well I doubt your presence will be missed by him! If you don't like Macca that's fine but mocking one of the finest ever songwriters/performers with cheap jibes shows a lack of appreciation for good music. Personally I'm looking forward to the gig immensely.

I did say he wrote some good songs in his day, but I can't remember the last good one he wrote. Long long time ago.

Sorry to slag him off. I appreciate he is a legend. But he does have a poor voice - I'm standing by that comment.

I saw him in concert about 7 years ago in Manchester, great night out, just one big sing song and loads of old Beatles stuff (and I wasn't even alive when the Beatles were out). One of my top 5 gigs of all time

We thought about going to the RDS but wouldn't stand due to some bad experiences standing at Bruce Springsteen last year. When we looked at the prices of the seats, we laughed and said no, not worth that price, no one is worth nearly €300 for 2 seats, + the costs of babysitters, travel, parking etc.

His seats for the UK gigs are cheaper, but still expensive in comparision with other gigs I've been to over there in the past

Interestingly the RDS was far from sold out on Ticketmaster last night

Am I being naive? Or am I being mean?

He's a Beatle, for Jaysus sake. We're not talking about some no-talent like Robbie Williams, we're talking about an accomplished musician with a proven track record. Anyone who doesn't appreciate that shouldn't go to the concert.

This morning I called in to Ticketmaster at the Square. Cheapest seats €138. Standing €83. I had assumed that the cheaper tickets would be seating also. Am I being naive? Or am I being mean? I and a friend had decided to see him but €83 for standing for a few hours? You gotta be joking.

I agree - scandalous price, no matter who it is.

For two people to attend (on the cheapest tickets) youre looking at the guts of 200 euro (including travel costs, maybe a soft drink etc..) - its too much IMO.

I agree - scandalous price, no matter who it is.

+1

Whatever you think of P McC the fact is that there are megastars that are currently much more popular than him and draw bigger attendences. They don't charge these prices.

I’m sure it will be a great gig but he hasn’t written anything much of note since he stopped eating meat.

It is an event.

That said - he is far too expensive.

It will be a sellout however.

It is sad that people will pay good money to hear "Pipes of Peace" and Mull of Kiltyre.

No wonder the banks are in trouble.

As far as I remember the last time he played in Dublin was the same i.e. much more pricey than the normal concert.

Spend the money on either of the new Beatles remastered box sets instead.

I was at the last gig in the RDS and standing is the much better option, if they keep the same stage layout. Seating was too far away, and a lot of seated people got up and stood anyway.

Great gig, would go again but am on holiday.

Heather should have poured the jug of water over his receding pate. That would have allowed both of them to hit lower notes! Supply and demand rules. Mrs Beaky also baulked. She is now organising other likeminded (mid 50s) ladies to our place on the night. Fingie food, drinkeypoos (inc dark chocolate with red wine), some Beatles and Wings TAPES :D. Now where can I get a ticket to the sun for that long weekend :)

Th gig in the O2 was excellent, his voice was fantastic, the last song was just as strong after over 3 hours playing.
If this concert was next year i'd go but it's a bit soon for me to justify (financially) going again.
I did hear that the standing area is behind 20 or so rows of seats which doesn't sound great.

On a slightly less serious but irreverant note, if everything that his sidekick said about popularity and This post will be deleted if not edited immediately were true, you could see the latter for free in a Monstrance at your local church. Sitting, standing or kneeling down.
[broken link removed]

Never saw the attraction of the Beatles meself. Fair enough in the 50s/60s they were completely different and 'new' but after that, and a couple of good albums, what's the big deal ? I mean Beatlemania is still going strong...why?

I especially like the way he got (or attempted to get) the 'Lennon/McCartney' bit changed to 'McCartney/Lennon'. Classy !

If he was performing in my back yard, I'd probably go to the pub !

I was at the last gig in the RDS and standing is the much better option, if they keep the same stage layout. Seating was too far away, and a lot of seated people got up and stood anyway.

Great gig, would go again but am on holiday.

The layout this time is stage , seats and standing behind the seats - definitely not worth 83 euro IMO

Back