McAfee extortion time again

A

ajapale

My McAfee (VirusScan Professional Edition V7) will expire on at the start of April. Over the last two or thee years this has resulted in what I can only describe as a process extortion. I usually end up paying up to €70 to renew the subscription. The process is fiddly and time consuming (downloading on a slow dial up connection). Im never quite sure whether im continuing the old subscription or buying a new product.

Anyway when it happens this year Ill be ready for them. Im going to switch to AVG which has been reccomended here.

My question: has anyone got any tips on uninstalling McAfee and all its components and installing AVG. Should I wait until the subscription runs out or should I uninstall now?

Thanks,
ajapale

Go ahead and uninstall it using the Control Panel, I did it with no problems before the expiry date. See previous post about Macafee

Yes,

I got an email informing me that they had renewed my subscription.

Installed AVG and scan found a trojan.

McAFee still running on computer and did not find same!

Will be cancelling the renewal and looking for refund.

Other problems with Mcafee

I had mcafee and changed to avg
This is free at www.grisoft.com

I had to reinstall windows 1 month after i renewed my mcaffee subscription.
Then it asked me to renew it again as it was a fresh install although i had already paid for a years updates.
Tried to contact them. Thats impossible. You should try contacting them and see how far you get - nowhere. Never even answer an email. Their online help doesnt cover most problems. No phone number to ring.

Anyway, changed to avg and its so much better.