MBNA Credit Card Cheques

M

MartinIA

Hi all,

I just downloaded by November Statement and noticed an interest charge of €24. I then rang customer service who told me that it was related to Credit Card cheques I had written. I am on interest free till MArch 09.

Before I wrote those cheques I rang up and asked were they included. I was told yes they were, and directed to my promotions page which confirmed the same. I printed this page at that time.

Obviously I am furious as I was deliberately misled, and would never have written the cheques had I known. I told the customer agent who told me straight out I was lying and that never, ever have interest free cheques been given, and he didn’t give a toss what I had printed. I rang back again and again and finally an agent looked back through my account and confirmed that I was in fact correct and a mistake had been made. The interest will be refunded. The original agent would not let me speak to his manager, nor give me a surname. I can imagine I am not alone with this issue

Im so glad I printed the promotional rate page, as conveniently the cheque option has now vanished.

Did they not write to you when you first got the card with details of the interest free period and what was or wasn't included in the interest free offer?

AFAIK that have always been treated as cash, so interest from when they are drawn.
I have asked then 2 or 3 times over the years to stop sending them to me, but they are still comming. BTW how do they handle the stamp duty on them, surely they are not maying for cheque issued?

Quiet right demoivre, my initial documentation confirms interest free on cheques. Didnt stop them charging me though.

Best thing to do with those cheque books as soon as you receive them is to throw them in the bin to avoid temptation.

I suppose my main issue was MBNA taking a chance that I wouldnt know what was initially agreed. The cheques are interest free until MArch 2010. I intend to have my complete balance paid off before this, and take delight in actually costing them money.
Also the openly agressive phone manner was unbelievable.