Maynooth Train Station: Parking and getting in and out?

BuilderBob

Thinking of moving out Meath way and Maynooth would be the nearest Train station.
Just wondering if anyone who uses the Station can comment on parking and getting into it in the mornings and getting out in the evenings.
Also wondering if anyone knows anything about the new Station proposed for Dunboyne is hot air or an actual genuine possibility.
Many thanks

Re: Maynooth Train Station

Before you think of moving to Maynooth you better be told that its in Co. Kildare not Meath!

Re: Maynooth Train Station

WHAT??????????

Only jokin............Yes I do know but Maynooth still nearest station.
Thanks anyway

Parking is ok, though it's near capacity. There's usually a bit of a dash off the trains in the evenings to get out first. it all depends on what times you arrive at the station and what time you'll be leaving at.

Say you were getting the 5pm train home, you could have a bit of a wait on your hands but I've never found it too bad. Maybe 5 mins.
You'll always get a seat inMaynooth but pretty much never on the way home.

A lot more frequent trains now which is great.

As far as I'm aware the Dunboyne trains is a realistic target, but time frame is a different matter!

Hi All

The Dunboyne train is schedued for 2010. [broken link removed]
The new station is up and running now in the IFSC and additinal trains are running from clonilla to this new station.

I am wondering though does anyone know whereabouts the existing line is that runs through Dunboyne and is there a station there? thinking of moving that direction but don't want to end up too near or even too far from the redeveloped line.

cheers
Paddy

The map at this location should give you an idea of where the new line will be (note - large Adobe Acrobat file)

[broken link removed]

Re. the Dunboyne station, I would look at the Platform 11 website/forum for more info, including this thread, which should be of interest.

Re. Maynooth station, there will be a long enough wait to get out if you are stuck at the back of the car park. Getting through the town is no picnic either, and the road to Dunboyne is not great.

The car park at the station fills up around 7.30 I'd say. There is some parking around the station that isn't illegal/on private property, but this goes quickly as well.

There is more parking (albeit on a paid basis-€5 a week) at Leixlip. Any increase in capacity at Maynooth may well be on a paid basis as well IMHO, further restrictions may be placed on 'casual' parking at any time.

Bob/Paddy
I would definitely recommend going the extra few miles to Leixlip Louisa Bridge station, the new car park facilities are great. The charge is minimal-€5 per week, and there is ample parking, regardless of what time of day you go up there. It's well lit and has cctv, and so far I haven't experienced any delays in getting out of there in the evenings

Last edited:
Hi Suntot

What would the journey from Dunboyne to Leixlip louisa bridge be like ? How long would it take, is it an easy enough route?

Thanks
Paddy

It's not bad-around 15 minutes-the route from Dunboyne to Louisa Bridge is on the AA site.

Hi Paddy,

There are several different routes from Dunboyne to Leixlip, all of which are reasonably straightforward and shouldn't take longer than 20 mins.

If you're not familiar with the area, the most straightforward route would probably be to drive from Dunboyne to Maynooth, when you come to the T junction instead of taking a right for Maynooth take a left for Leixlip. Louise bridge station is about 3 miles from this point. Why not try the route before hand so you can see what you think and familiarise yourself with the journey?

If you want me to suggest some other routes, you can PM me rather than me clogging up this thread!

Another option for you might be Clonsilla train station, but having lived in this area I know that parking is a major issue here! As I've said before, the new car park at Leixlip Louisa bridge is great, and well worth the €5 per week.

If you are thinking of Meath, Enfield's train time table has improved and the service is much better. Parking is an issue at the moment but it is being extended in the next 12 months.

I'm living in dunboyne at the moment, the old line is under the bad bridge between dunboyne and clonee but there is no station and althought work has started on the line they haven't come anywhere near dunboyne yet. you're definately looking at their estimated date of 2010. However there is a line going in near Ongar as far as i know which would be a short drive but again i don't know what the completion date for that is.
If you go the back road to lexlip from dunboyne it can take under 10 mins depending on traffic - (my best was 7.5 mins at 8pm with no traffic!) However i'm sure at peak times it would vary greatly. The back road is the Rooske road (opposite dunboyne communtiy centre and out past St. peters GAA club). Hope this helps.

There's another road from Dunboyne to Leixlip - it's off the Dunboyne-Maynooth Road (out by Dunboyne Castle). Might be useful depending on what side of Dunboyne you're coming from.

Take the first left just past Dunboyne Castle housing estate. Continue on the road until you reach a T junction, turn left, and right at the next T junction (signposted Leixlip). Continue until you reach the next T and turn left, then take the first right which is the top of Captain's Hill. Turn right at the bottom of Captain's Hill, through the Main St in Leixlip and you'll reach Louisa Bridge station.

Continue until you reach the next T and turn left, then take the first right which is the top of Captain's Hill. Turn right at the bottom of Captain's Hill, through the Main St in Leixlip and you'll reach Louisa Bridge station.
If you're going to go this way you'll first go by Leixlip confey station which is at the top of Captains Hill so it would make more sense to use that station. There's not a lot of parking though, especially since the owner of the (always half empty) carpark at supervalu won't let you park there all day any more.....

hey could anyone tell me can u park in maynooth station for 24hours