Max age for 35 year mortgage

Ryan

Based on Brendan’s advice to spread your mortgage out over as long as possible I’m wondering what is the maximum age a borrower can be to get a 35 year term?

My partner will be 34 by the time we’re ready so then he would be 69 in Theory when the loan is fully repaid

Based on Brendan’s advice to spread your mortgage out over as long as possible I’m wondering what is the maximum age a borrower can be to get a 35 year term?
Brendan's advice is to get the longest mortgage you can but to pay it off in a (much) shorter time frame. E.g., get a 30-year mortgage with the genuine intention of consistently overpaying in order to clear it within 20 years. That will save you a fortune in interest.

However, different lenders have different rules around how much you can overpay your fixed-rate mortgage by without incurring a penalty. This thread has all the details. Choose a lender that offers the overpayment flexibility that you need (but not at the expense of settling for a terrible interest rate).

Try not to think of it this way. If you have spare cashflow you there may be better options for you like tax-relieved pension contributions or putting your kids through college.
That is true. A set of financial priorities that probably makes sense for a lot of people in Ireland is:
  • Paying off expensive debt
  • Buying a place to live
  • Building up an emergency fund in a savings/current account (3 to 6 months' living expenses)
  • Saving money for any expenses you will have over the next few years (kids; adult children going to college, etc.)
  • Maxing out your pension contributions (very large tax relief is given)
  • Overpaying your mortgage
in approximately that order.

But that's a whole other thread/subforum.

Last edited:
Does that mean the oldest borrower must be under 70? He is 3 years older than me so say I’m 35 and hes 38 can we still get a 35 year term?

What’s the maximum age aib will lend to?
Most lenders will advance a mortgage to you with a length of 70-current age. So if you are 50, they will advance a loan of up to 20 years. If you are 40, 30 years.
In some cases that might depend on whether or not you have a pension. If not that might be reduced to your expected pension age.

Back