Mattress fixed into bed frame

Dots1982

trying to figure out what type of a bed this is and how to change the mattress. It’s stapled (like with 150 staples) to the bed to a wooden fixture under the mattress. Any help appreciated. A mattress has already being bought so maybe that can’t be used without throwing out the frame and the fixture and putting in a conventional bed. It seems this bed sucks so maybe it would be better to get rid of.

Last edited:
Never seen it but I'm wondering how you going to remove the whole lot, it's hard enough to move a mattress especially if it has to go down stairs.

I presume it's stapled on as the mattress lifts up when you raise the base for storage, probably a safety thing to stop it sliding off when raised. If you are going to continue to use the storage space I'd imagine you'd want to attach the new one someway too to stop it moving.

Easy enough remove the staples but slow, I'd probably remove them and then put another covering on the new mattress and staple it on in a similar way, the old Lidl cordless stapler be handy for that job :)

For what it's worth . . . . I'd throw the entire old bed out. I never saw the like of it. It looks like something that would be used by the Yorkshire Ripper in prison approaching Day Release time.

For what it's worth . . . . I'd throw the entire old bed out. I never saw the like of it.

There are plenty of varieties of those about, they allow for really good storage underneath the bed. The frame is sprung so it's easy to lift / lower. Looks in perfectly good condition so it would be very wasteful to throw it out.

Pick out the staples. That looks like a great bed with storage beneath. Ideal for a camper van conversion which is all I think about most of the time.

What would folks use to remove the staples?
Edit - good knowledge on the ottoman beds bilbo, presume it’s not just me who learnt on what they are today.

What would folks use to remove the staples?

A staple remover:

That will only remove paper staples. Pliers, screwdriver and a bit of brute force will likely do the trick.

I’ve used my staple remover to remove staple-gun staples, the type of staples commonly used with furniture. It really flies through them.

There’s more than one way to skin a cat

Back