Matthew Elderfield and bankers salaries

But it doesn't. As I already said, the head of Anglo is on a package of over €1m a year but we pretend he is only being paid 500k. Caps sound good in the media but that's all.
The solution to that is to impose the cap, not to ignore it.

But it doesn't. As I already said, the head of Anglo is on a package of over €1m a year but we pretend he is only being paid 500k. Caps sound good in the media but that's all.

If anyone is demonstrably worth more than 500 k I have no problem with it, but how is this assessed? If someone paid a million can save a billion or so because of their unique skills, no problem . But I don't know if this is the criteria that applies, or is Elderfield et al just looking for the "going rate", whatever that is?

You missed one important skill - leadership. The CEO needs to be able to build a vision for the future, and lead the organisation towards that vision. He or she needs to be able to manage a team of senior executives, keep them focused on the goal, and keep manners on them.
Salary increase does not equal expertise increase as we have seen in recent years. We need hardworking intelligent people willing to work for an honest days pay and €500k is more than an honest salary.
Fully agree.

The solution to that is to impose the cap, not to ignore it.

Why have a cap in the first place? If the Government want to offer 500k for the job then fine. People who are intereseted in the job at that price will apply. I don't understand why we need to cap wages.

I agree but the same can be said for most people. I took my job at the 'going rate' at the time. Everyone does.

Why have a cap in the first place? If the Government want to offer 500k for the job then fine. People who are intereseted in the job at that price will apply. I don't understand why we need to cap wages.
The purpose of the cap is to stop the State-owned banks going beyond the €500k.

The purpose of the cap is to stop the State-owned banks going beyond the €500k.

I know what the purpose is but why have it? Why not just say the job pays 500k and leave it there to see who wants it. Why place a 'cap' on it apart from playing to the media? Especially when the banks are completely ignoring it.

I know what the purpose is but why have it? Why not just say the job pays 500k and leave it there to see who wants it. Why place a 'cap' on it apart from playing to the media? Especially when the banks are completely ignoring it.
Because of the indirect nature of the State's control over the banks, I guess.