Maternity & parental leave and starting up a new business

mabama

Hi, I'm in a full-time employment and due to have our 3rd baby in July. Myself & my husband are thinking about starting up a new business while I'm off work and if it's going to go well, I might not return to work when my parental leave finishes. I just wonder if there is any issue in relation to being on ML/PL and starting up a business at the same time?

What sort of issues are you asking about?

Are you concerned that you might not qualify for maternity benefit? Are you concerned that your employer might not pay paid maternity leave?

There are certainly no business issues which I can think of. There is no restriction to say that women on maternity leave can't set up a business.

If you are being paid by your employer, they might not think too highly of you having another job while on maternity leave.

If you are planning not to come back, it's good practice to let your employer know, so that they can plan to replace you. However, if you tell SW that you are not coming back, you might not qualify for maternity benefit.

Thanks Brendan, my employer is going to pay my salary in full (maternity benefit + top up my salary) and yes, I'm not sure if starting a business while on maternity can have any impact on my maternity benefit entitlements.
In relation to coming back to work, I want to keep my options open as it's really good job, flexible conditions, well paid, etc so our plan is to set up the business, see how it goes and return to work (either part-time or full-time) after my ML and PL finishes if needed/if I wanted as my husband will look after it & we are planning to take on a few employees then.

Here is a quote from citizensinformation.ie
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e..._families_and_children/maternity_benefit.html

You can do voluntary work, public representative work (for example, a councillor or TD) and courses of education while you are getting Maternity Benefit. However, your payment will be stopped if you engage in insurable (paid) employment.

You probably will not be taking a wage from this new company immediately but if you are officially working there and "on the books", this may be seen as insurable employment.

It may be against the terms and conditions of your employment for you to do another job while on Maternity Leave and still an employee of the firm, getting full pay.

So if we want to set up the business as a limited company (myself and my husband as directors), is it possible for me "not to be on the books" - e.g. work there voluntary? I'll have hands full with the new born baby anyway so only expect to do paperwork/PR & possibly a few hours here and there. Sorry if my Qs are a bit naïve....

Back