Masters Golf - Bar in Dublin?

Bob_tg

Anyone got any suggestions where would be a good Dublin city centre pub/bar/hotel to watch the golf on Saturday evening from 9-12? Please bear in mind that Saturday evening is obviously quite busy in town, so it would be good to find somewhere relatively central where a good bar stool could be found!!

Last edited:
FWIW, I was in Molloys on Talbot St. last Saturday night and it was fairly quiet. Not sure how they would feel about showing golf when The Premiership/MOTD is on........

A hotel would probably be a good bet, how about somewhere like the Gresham? There is also a bar opposite Busarus, right between Issacs and Robert Reades (part of a hotel) that might be (a) quiet, and (b) show the golf. The name escapes me at the moment.

Anyone got any suggestions where would be a good Dublin city centre pub/bar/hotel to watch the golf on Saturday evening from 9-12? Please bear in mind that Saturday evening is obviously quite busy in town, so it would be good to find somewhere relatively central where a good bar stool could be found!!

Sinnotts at the side of the Stephens Green Centre is a good place to watch sports...I'm not sure whether a lot of places will be showing Saturday's play though. I'd say the big bars on Dawson Street like Cafe or Ron Blacks will have it on the plasmas but it might be best to ring a few to check. Suburban pubs like the Dropping Well would be a better bet. Unfortunately there's a trade off on Saturday night...rip it up in town or watch Lefty en route to a Green Jacket in comfort. Not sure both can be done!

Actually network 2 are showing the premiership followed by the master on Saturday so I'd be surprised if every pub wasn't showing it. Dublin will be (relatively) quiet on Saturday night as well as a lot of inhabitants will have gone away for the easter. Try the Oval in middle Abbey st if your norside or if your soutside try the bankers in Andrew st (I think) off Dame street. Both are barstool type pubs.

Waste of time trying to watch golf in a pub as it's one sport that you definitely need to hear the commentary and you have no chance of that in a pub (especially on a Saturday night). Suggest you buy a few cans or a bottle of wine and sit down to watch it at home or in your hotel room if visiting.

All - thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Totally agree with Trebledigit. However, this is one of those "have to meet friend before they head around the world" occasions, and there's not really any getting out of it! There was much debate, but the consensus was to find a bar somewhere in town.

Definitely would not do it on the final day, though!!!

Try as I might I cannot find the Masters live on any channel. I see that highlights are on BBC this (Friday) night. Have the Sky Sports Channels, Setanta, Eurosport, etc. Maybe I am missing something but can anybody tell me where I can see the live golf as it happens ?

Try as I might I cannot find the Masters live on any channel. I see that highlights are on BBC this (Friday) night. Have the Sky Sports Channels, Setanta, Eurosport, etc. Maybe I am missing something but can anybody tell me where I can see the live golf as it happens ?

It is live! The Masters is in Augusta, Georgia so they're 5 hours behind us. It's on BBC2 switching to BBC1 at some stage...and it's also on Setanta. It's tournament policy to only show approximately 3 hours of live golf on Thursday and Friday. You'll see a little more on Saturday and Sunday which means you'll see pretty much all of the contenders' rounds.

Thanks KalEl. That makes sense I just assumed that the limited coverage meant highlights only.

All - thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Totally agree with Trebledigit. However, this is one of those "have to meet friend before they head around the world" occasions, and there's not really any getting out of it! There was much debate, but the consensus was to find a bar somewhere in town.

Definitely would not do it on the final day, though!!!

If you really need to be in a pub to watch it you could go to the Two Sisters in Terenure. Its always on there and the whole bar watches it so there is commentary also. I know cos I used to live near there not because I have any connection.

Back