Massive charges at GoodBody

M

maples180

Back in 1997 when I was young and didn't have my TDAMERITRADE account opened yet which I use regularly to buy and sell shares for the price of 9$ per operation , with no other fees like annual maintenance fees, account fees etc,,, I had bought some shares through AIB which uses GoodBody as the stockbroker. Today almost 10 years later I went to the AIB bank to sell these ancient shares. The total cost with GoodBody was 100 euros for the operation plus 35 euros for some undefined overseas custody charges. Compared to the about 7 euros for the same operations with TDAMERITRADE. It was a rip-off. I honeslty expected to be charged not 7 euros like TDAMERITRADE but maximum 35 or 40 euros but not 135, and I'm sure on top of it AIB will not charge me less than 40 or 50 euros for managing the operation and in total I will have spent almost 200 euros just to sell 3000 euros worth of shares

This was obviously my last operation with GoodBody and AIB buying and selling shares. Everything I will do will be via TDAMERITRADE like I have done for the last 7 or 8 years.

Maples180

It was a rip-off.
I disagree. At the time there were more cost effective options available. The fact that you were not aware of them and paid higher charges doesn't make the Goodbody charges a rip-off. Unless you are saying that they mislead you about their charges which I presume is not the case?