Marvin Wood windows and Water Stains

J

Josephine1

Hi,

Has anyone has problems with marvin windows? I have mine for 3 years and even though I treated them with Sadolin Natur as recommended by Marvin they now have severe black stains. marvins response is that these windows have now been pulled from the Irish market and these stains are not covered in the warranty...

Pushing them on this but a third person is now coming out to look at them...4 months later...

I don't know anything about Marvin windows in particular, but this is another salutary lesson that what works in other countries is not necessarily right for Ireland: our climate is damp in a way that few other countries are. This is especially true for things like timber frame - nothing wrong with it in theory, but especially important in our climate that standards are adhered to

They are American Pine...so light colour wood. The recommendation from Marvin is to paint them but I wouldn't have gone for natural timber at that cost if the only option was to paint them.

Yep. I do know people who have bought other (non timber) Marvin windows. Paid completely through the nose and had to threaten legal action unless they returned. Did so at a push but six months later still not happy

interesting mercman ! I have a story too tell but I want to see how this thread developes before spilling the beans !!!

Marvin are not my favorite company at the mo .

Just as I thought when I asked the question, they are softwood windows and yes, softwood windows will turn black after a few years. The only option is to paint.

Everyone wants the lovely light pine colour but it will only last a few years no matter how well you care for it. I was looking at a lovely building in Kilkenny a few weeks ago which has pine colour windows from another well know company and they are only in the building 4 years max and they had turned black at the bottom, last week and I passing they were painting them red.

Hardwood is the only answer for outdoor joinery.

Back