Martello / Blackbush Avenue Drogheda?

prince2008

Am thinking of buying a house in Drogheda in the future.

I know Drogheda fairly well but was thinking of looking at some properties in Martello Village or Blackbush Avenue - basically, somewhere within walking distance of the train station.

Can anyone let me know what Martello Village is like? Is it a quiet estate? Has anyone any experience of living in the duplexes?? Is it a management estate with fees? Eg are there communal areas for bins etc?
Are they well built or does would you hear every noise from next door or from upstairs or downstairs in a duplex?

Also thinking of Blackbush Avenue. I know these are older houses? Anyone with experience of living here?

Thanks

Re: Martello / Blackbush Avenue Drogheda???

Martello Village has a large court yard that is dedicated to 2 bed ground floor apartments and duplex overhead. Surrounding this there are several types of houses.
Dont know much about the houses section. But I can tell you I regularly visit my friend in a 2 bed apartment that she rents.
This area is not nice of the development while well maintained is not nice for long term living.
Most apartments are rented, high noise levels, kids being allowed to run riot in common spaces.
There is a creche in centre of development, while this is handy creates traffic volumes.

Blackbush is a far quiter and nicer estate in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply

I was thinking that myself - what with the creche etc - that it wouldn't be a quiet estate. I know the houses in Blackbush avenue are older but all in all it seems a quieter estate!!

As I need something within walking distance of the train station, I was also thinking of Byranstown Manor. However, I know somebody who rented there for a while a couple of years ago but who had fierce problems with the 2 bed apartments being damp - not just a little bit but really severe i.e. mould growing on clothes etc. Does anybody know if this is a widespread problem in Byranstown Manor or was my friend unlucky???? Any 'damp' problems in the houses (as opposed to the apartments?).

Another option I thought of was Silk Park - does anybody have any opinions on the estate / houses in the estate?

Good quite estates in that general area: Meadow View, Rosevale, St Marys Villas, Hazel Lane, Millmount.
I havent heard of damp issus with Bryanstown Manor but I did hear Wheaton Hall has major damp issues.
Personally would go for small estate like Hazel Lane or Blackbush. Meadow View and Rosevale are old houses and are very well constructed.
Byranstown Manor that little bit handier for train station but only a little bit, better value to be had elsewhere.

Again, thanks for the reply.

I know there are numerous estates in that area but some of them are a little bit above my price range - could probably stretch my budget a small bit but some of the houses in Millmount, Meadowview, Blackbush etc are that bit dearer than the likes of Martello or Bryanstown. As you say they are older houses so probably better constructed! Will have to weigh up my options.

Again, thanks for the reply

I lived in Martello - lovely quiet estate - great location but my word the walls were thin between houses - I would honestly make this a big consideration - I could hear 99% of what went on next door and some of it you don't want to hear to be honest.
I was in a 2 bed terrace - same as I am now but I hear nothing now !
And it wasn't that my neighbours either side were loud people by any means.

I rent a house in Martello and I think it is a great location for train / town etc. The surrounding shops/restaurants are great, everything is within a 2 minute walk. The estate is well maintained. I live in a 3 bed and do not have any problems with sound insulation as per the previous poster. I think that a house here would a great investment and there would be no problems with renting it out down the line. There are rumours that there is a bar going in under the lemon grass restaurant so what more could you ask for..?