Married: buying house in single name, but joint mortgage

hello world

Hey, I am wondering if any bank in Ireland would accept this scenario:

We are married, but live in separate countries. Wife in Ireland with no Income. I'm in Switzerland with a very high income, good assets etc.

Want to buy a new house in Ireland, and could close in cash, but want to get a mortgage so that we can use the mortgage cash to renovate/extension/refurb new home.

This new home would only be in my wives name, as I am non resident in Ireland I don't want to 'own' a home in Ireland.

Would any lender in Ireland lend based on a joint/married income, but with the property being owned by one partner (the non-earning partner)

Thanks for any tips!

Interesting situation! I was living in separate country to my husband until this year also. Afaik, if you are married, it has to be joint appllication, but obviously this is a unique situation.

It has to be a joint mortgage but that's obvious anyway as your wife as no income, whether any bank is willing to allow one owner or not I don't know. It was not uncommon years ago where a parent was a joint mortgage holder for income purposes and the deeds would just be in a single name but I think banks might have changed their minds on this one.

Maybe a good mortgage broker would know.

Back