Markets falling but dollar rate stable?

8till8

Why does the dollar stay fairly stable when the markets are falling due to possible US recession... its at 1.44/€ surely it should be weakening ?

confused...

The EUR is weak too.

After a drop to 1.436 over night it's making gains back to 1.444 at the minute.

Traders are convinced that the ECB will have to cut rates here as well which explains the EUR weakness.

With the euro currently at about 1.44 US Dollars, is now the time to invest in the dollar?
Has anyone any ideas about how one can simply trade in currencies online, cheaply in small amounts. Have 10-15k to play with. Are profits subject to DIRT?

Probably better to put it into a usd traded share. Currency gambling is a dangerous game and probably not advisable

I did a small amount of dollar currency trading about 10 yrs ago, thinking I was onto a sure bet, I lost about 30%, but it could even have been more. You live n' learn. I now don't trade currencies, coz I know too little about it and don't want to learn. I stick to share purchases. I tend to factor in some kind of FX fluctuation, but it's not my main focus.

With the euro currently at about 1.44 US Dollars, is now the time to invest in the dollar?
Has anyone any ideas about how one can simply trade in currencies online, cheaply in small amounts. Have 10-15k to play with. Are profits subject to DIRT?

I would say Capital Gains Tax or Income tax would be the relevant tax, depending on the frequency of your trades. I'd check with Revenue though if I were you.

I think it would be a bad idea to invest in dollars. Couple of reasons off the top of my head:

1. Quantitative easing for the foreseeable future
2. Lack of interest in US treasuries
3. Serious risk of hyperinflation
4. The dollars position as the reserve currency looking weaker all the time