Marian Finucane

ATC110

I was shocked to hear of the sudden death of Marian Finucane; this was soon replaced with feelings of dread over the inevitable coverage overkill by RTE Radio One.

There was effectively a news blackout from 5pm Thursday onwards.

Marian seemed to be a thoroughly good person but was a woeful presenter and should have been put out to grass years ago - she was satire gold.

To listen to learned people queuing up to utter gushing plaudits was bizarre and downright annoying - were they trying to be ironic? Ergo for Gay Byrne and Gerry Ryan.

Why can't these deaths just be announced in the news bulletins rather than this navel gazing indulgence by RTE about its own untalented presenters?

Last edited:
Marian was, in my opinion, an highly intelligent journalist and her work played a major part in modernising the country.

Gay Byrne was a supremely talented presented whose work brought middle Ireland along the journey to modernity. Had one of the current confrontational presenters held his position I think there might have been much more discomfort about the country's social evolution in the 80s.

Gerry Ryan was a disgrace, he used his undoubted intelligence to dumb down the public conversation and got cheap laughs picking on easy targets. The tape of himself and Dave Heffernan telling some poor unfortunate to get a lobotomy is nauseating.

Marian was, in my opinion, an highly intelligent journalist and her work played a major part in modernising the country.

This sounds like some of the aforementioned bizarre plaudits; she had to be moved from Crimecall due to getting the perpetrator and the victim confused..ditto on Liveline. She was unintentionally hilarious - Oliver Callan's satirical show had little or no work to do

Gay Byrne was a supremely talented presented whose work brought middle Ireland along the journey to modernity. Had one of the current confrontational presenters held his position I think there might have been much more discomfort about the country's social evolution in the 80s.

Oh dear...his rambling, mindless drivel on his morning radio show was a national embarrassment. And I heard yesterday that he used to rehearse this for hours :oops:

Reactions: mtk
The point about Gay was that people liked him. Anyone else demonstrating condoms live on TV wouldn’t have been accepted

Last edited:
The point about Gay was that people liked him. Anyone else demonstrating condoms live on TV wouldn’t have accepted

That's the problem with RTE - they use presenters who they think will be popular rather than on ability, talent and competence.

A good broadcaster who had her day 20 years ago. Half the year she wasnt even on the radio even though R.T.E. kept using her name to pull in advertising.
Fours hours a week and excessively paid for it like several more of the R.T.E. luvvies

Reactions: mtk
Depending on your view of Marian, at least you have a choice to give out about her or praise her. I wonder if it's a first that someone is in the "Letting off Steam" and "Shooting the Breeze" at the same time :D

Back