Marian Finucane

Some idiot politician on the radio waxing about the interview when Leo came out, only to to be told that was Miriam :mad:

I have been bemused by some of the things said about her since her death. Many comments make her seem like a kindly old lady, how many telly people have talked about her empathy.

I saw her as a fiercely intelligent person with a mission to change the world and as impatient with people who couldn't keep up with her.

yes its the end of an era, with the passing of gay byrne a short time ago aswell. We wont see broadcasters with that much influence again as the media landscape is now so fragmented. I noticed with the tributes to both presenters that their colleagues were revealing all the old tricks of their trade , the mystique around RTE and tv in general is gone now.

Marian Finucane was an excellent broadcaster. She contributed much to society. RIP.

But, as usual there has been tremendous overkill on the airwaves regarding her passing, something I believe Marian would not have wanted.

Marian Finucane was an excellent broadcaster. She contributed much to society. RIP.

But, as usual there has been tremendous overkill on the airwaves regarding her passing, something I believe Marian would not have wanted.
First 10 mins of main 6.0c RTE News given over to Larry Gogan, there are big things happening in the World.

I see Brendan O Connor has taken over Marian Finucane's slot on radio one at the weekends. I think this is a very good and sensible decision. He easily fitted into this slot when she was absent. I was thinking that they would succumb to the pressure to find a woman to fill this slot as that seemed to be the prevailing trend lately. Katy Hannah would have been good too but she not as experienced as O Connor at lighter stuff

Last edited:
Back