Marble, Quartz or Corian?

B

Boo

I am new to building / renovating a kitchen! I am wondering if anyone can recommed a good place to go to for Corian worktops (or something similar). Ideally (as would eveyone!) would like marble but way to expensive for my budget. I hear that quartz or corian may be a cheaper alternative. Would really like ideas (places) from the west of ireland. Your helps would be much appreaciated as being bogged down by information I have no clue about.

Hi Boo,

Welcome to AAM.

You may find something useful here.

If you run the search option in this forum only you may find some others possibly under worktops.

Don't know of any stone suppliers in the West, but just to say that marble is NOT a good idea for a kitchen worktop as it's far too porous and would stain easily - a nightmare to maintain. There is a home/interiors magazine based in the West which you would find in a newsagent - cannot think of the name of the mag at the moment. Have you tried looking at the ads in any of the all-Ireland interiors magazines or even newspapers?

Personally, I have a granite worktop but although they are durable and stain resistant, I find I'm constantly wiping and shining it and even a drop of water detracts from its appearance. If I could afford to replace it I'd definitely go for a light-coloured composite (Corian)

Good luck with it.

Hi Boo,

I am also interested in using Corian as kitchen worktop. Saw it in kitchen showroom in Kilkenny. They quoted me for both granite and corian and the corian works out approx 25% dearer. This included seamless backsplash. The range of colours available are fantastic. Check out www.corian.com I think the suppliers in Ireland are DuPont? AFAIK after the kitchen is fitted , they then measure out for worktop and there could be 3/4 weeks before all is in place.

Would love to hear of others experience with it and whether there are any pitfalls.

I used this crowd in limerick for my quartz worktop last year and they did a brilliant job at a great price, very prompt and professional: [broken link removed]

Working in the building trade, I have to say Corian marks very easily. It can get scracthed and loose its appearance pretty quickly. Granite would be a better bet, IMHO.

Can Corian be resanded (polished) after a few years to restore its finish though?

ninsaga

Scratched Corian will look like new with a vigourous rub of a scotchbrite pad or cloth. Scotchbrite is the green abrasive stuff on the back of those little sponges used for cleaning saucepans etc. The pattern goes through the worktop so you wont rub it off.

Silestone is non porous. Available from Munster Marble 091 633389 in Tubber

We used Getacore. Pricey but looks fantastic, joints are invisible and like Corian it can be sanded after a few years to an as new look.