Marble Floor-waxing and polishing required urgently pls?

polo1

I have a travertine honed marble floor in my hall and a polished marble floor in my kitchen/living / dining... all cream and about 100sq mtrs in total.

I was recommended by the tiler to get them cleaned, buffed, waxed and sealed and he recommended a company to do this.. After endless phone calls and texts and begging and pleading with a particular company to come and do this work and promises from them that they would come - they still have not come to do the work some 8 months later.

I would normally not entertain this behaviour but I dont know of any other companies.

Now I would really really like to get this done as soon as possible and wondering if anyone can recommend a company to do this work in the Dublin area PLEASE.

Thanks in advance

You can do it yourself. But I would do it sooner rather than later, as the longer you leave it the harder it will be to clean the marble.
For the honed marble you would need to clean it well with an acid based marble cleaner making sure all the grout has benn cleaned off, then seal it and then finish it with a top coat.

The polished marble you can not clean it with an acid based cleaner as this will remove the shine, a more gentle cleaner must be used. After it is clean you only have to seal it, not top coat is required.

What ever you do, do not use a one coat does all product. Marble is easy keep if it is sealed right and sealed right just after it has been installed.

Joseph29 thanks for the response. As its a new house there is lots to do and this is one job I (being over 34wks pregant) or MrPolo1 doesnt want to do or have time to do to be honest. Otherwise it would have been done months ago.. But thanks anyway for the suggestion. I might end up doing this if I dont get any recommendations.

I agree with you about the marble its getting grubby looking and want to stop this asap..

don't use acid based cleaner - read below

Do's and Don'ts

Do: Seal Your Travertine Annually.
You may have read about sealing your stone and all the “hassle” cleaning travertine is, but I assure you it’s no big deal. The job is as simple as … "wipe on … wipe off". The time and cost involved is really inconsequential when compared to how fabulous travertine counter tops and floors, etc. look in your home—not to mention the added value when compared with other surfaces.
Use a top quality penetrating sealer like STONETECH Bulletproof to protect your investment.​

Do: Blot up spills immediately.
Travertine is much more sensitive than granite to acidic substances like wine, coffee, fruit juices, tomato sauce, sodas, toiletry products and cleaning products that can etch(dull) the polish(shine) or stain the surface.
Do: Clean surfaces using a sponge or soft cloth.
The only cleaning agents you should use on a regular basis are hot water and a specially formulated stone cleaner/sealer. I recommend STONETECH Revitalizer. Buff dry with a cotton cloth or chamois. Using a mild soap occasionally (3-4 times a year) for cleaning travertine won’t harm the stone, but consistent use will dull the surface.

Do: Use coasters under all glasses, bottles and cans.
Bottles, cans and glasses … even water … can leave a ring and many common foods and drinks contain acids that may etch the polish or damage the surface.
So make cleaning travertine easy and avoid expensive marble polishing and marble restoration by treating your travertine surfaces like fine wood furniture. Always use coasters ...no matter what.

Do: Use a tray for toiletry products in the bathroom. A decorative tray can look very nice and it will protect the surface from the damaging chemicals contained in many toiletry products.

Do: Dust mop your travertine floor tile regularly.
Use a clean, dry, non-treated dust-mop. Be careful using a vacuum cleaner. Worn parts or grit jammed by the wheels may scratch the surface. Also, mop regularly using a specialized stone cleaner.
Tip: Travertine polishing on floor tile makes a very slick surface so go with a "honed," "tumbled" or "flamed" floor tile. It will look warm and inviting and hide dust, dirt and stains very well.​
Also, travertine's distinctive voids and holes can easily be filled upon installation to keep dirt from accumulating.

Do: Use door mats inside and out along with runners and area rugs.
Grit, dirt and sand carried in by our shoes are abrasive and will wear and scratch travertine floor tile.

Don't: Use generic, store-bought cleaning products of ANY kind.
Cleaning travertine with products bought at your local store that contain acids, alkalis and other chemicals can etch or damage the countertop surface or degrade the sealant leaving the stone more vulnerable to staining.
It won’t happen right away and trying to save money by using cheap, generic surface cleaners only ensures that you'll spend a lot more time and money on your travertine care in the long-run performing expensive repairs or travertine restoration.

Don't: Use vinegar, ammonia, lemon or orange for cleaning travertine. As noted above, a sponge with hot water is all you need on a daily basis and a stone cleaner/sealer weekly.​
Don't: Use bathroom, tub & tile or grout cleaners.
The powders and even the "soft" creams contain abrasives that will scratch and dull the surface.

Don't: Sit or stand on your countertops.
Unlike laminate countertops, travertine countertops are not flexible and they DO NOT have a plywood backing so too much weight in one spot could cause a crack.
Don't: Place toiletry products directly on your countertop surface. Hair products, toothpaste, perfumes, colognes, nail products, creams, lotions and potions may stain or damage the surface or etch the polish leaving a ring. Protect your countertop by placing these products on a decorative tray like they do in fancy hotels!

Think Roman Coliseum
OK. I know it seems like there is a lot to do and know about cleaning travertine, but if you think about it most of the Do’s and Don’ts are things you already do and don't do! And the new tips you’ve learned about how to clean travertine are really very easy.
The best advice is to get a separate cleaning tote for your travertine cleaning products and the products you use on other surface types you may have . . . such as granite, quartz or Corian.
Label everything and off you go--no problems or guesswork. This is especially handy if you use a cleaning service. You’ll never have to worry that you or the maid might accidentally use the wrong product. Cleaning travertine is simply a matter of routine.
Just keep in mind that marble has stood the test of time and it is meant to be used. So with just a little TLC, you’ll enjoy its beauty for years.

Back