Marathon training advice please

shaking

I'm hoping to run the dublin marathon in October (first time). I've been running for the last 8 weeks normally 3 runs a week before work. Due to time constraints and probably lack of knowledge on the training side I'm only clocking about 8km a run. What distance should I be running at this stage? Based on the distance i'm covering at the moment will I be able to run the whole thing in October? I was previously running in the evening after work when I had more time but was advised to run in the morning as the race is in the morning, any opinions on this?

Plenty of sites giving adive and training schedules on this, including these two.

MapMyRun is pretty handy for planning your training routes.
Leo

Thanks for that looks like I'm way off were I should be, which is a bit worrying

The target time at which you set your expectations has a big bearing on the schecule you need to use.
You will find 12 week/16 week schedules on the web for each target time ie 3.5hrs, 4hrs, 5hrs etc.
Pick one that suits and follow it.
If you have trouble finding one, give us your target time and I will try and post a schedule for you.

if someone is only at about 3 miles 3 times a week and would like to do it between 5 and 6 hrs is it possible.

I know i should so a few short runs and 1 long one a week, is this correct.

thanks runner I found a schedule on runners world and will gave that ago. do you think based on what i'm doing at the moment that I have enough training time to achieve a sub 4hr time?

you really want to train 5 days per week for the marathon. do a long run at the weekend at marathon pace (slow) combined with some tempo runs during the week ( medium pace ) throw in an interval training session at least once a week where you run at fast pace for 1 or 2 mins then slow down to recover and then go again. interval or speed training builds fitness rapidly. dont forget the 10 percent rule though, ie dont increase your training runs by more than 10 percent each week or you will be almost guaranteed to suffer injury of some sort, this happened to me a few months back and as a consequence i probably wot make the marathon this year..

just curious, why was this post moved from "miscellaneous non financial questions" to "gift ideas and suggestions"

we could do with a sticky explaining that. I think this is a non financial type conversation myself. I've been confused a few times with things that have been moved

this post seems more like a "non financial miscellaneous" post rather than a "gift idea or general suggestion", maybe it should be moved back?