Manufacturing start up

greeneman

We have a large empty factory.
Long Experience in production and finance.
Any ideas for manufacturing products in Ireland for Irish and EU markets.
Realise that trends are towards Mid East and Asia but I really think we can compete again. I have no rent and can get experienced people. Just need to find a niche product.

I think that says it all. Manufacturing is pointless in Ireland at the moment. We simply do not have the competitive advantage against countries in Asia or even closer to home in eastern europe.

What about Renting it out? You say you have no rent so you must own it.

I think that high-end manufacturing with strict Quality and Regulatory requirements is the only manufacturing that has a chance of surviving in Ireland.

In fact, I know of one multinational that closed an Irish Facility to move to Mexico, but subsequently moved back as quality could not be guaranteed in Mexico.

I currently work in a multinational medical device manufacturing facility. I think it will be very difficult to get companies to consider a tender from a new facility (without any references or history) to manufacture for them.

The IDA and Third Level Institutions might be your best chance of being put in contact with the right network of people.

+1, bear in mind that 20% of all product made in China is rated sub-standard/not fit for purpose by their own internal departments.

Thanks all for your input. Paddy199 is spot on. I want a business idea for a factory I own. I just think the Irish EU market could be ripe again. People may be predisposed to support Irish/EU products and the jobs they provide.
I have tried the importing route for some consumer goods. When you assess the costs and rewards against the risk it is not really worth it. The biggest obstacle is that the distributioin chain for quality products is tied up.
Similarly, as QED points out, high end will want a proven track record. To be honest, we are not able to demonstrate that we can operate at that end.
We need to find a new niche and fill it.

I think that says it all. Manufacturing is pointless in Ireland at the moment. We simply do not have the competitive advantage against countries in Asia or even closer to home in eastern europe.

That's news to me. I've been working in manufacturing all my adult life (Irish own sub-contract manufacturer). We supply customers all over the world (40+ countries) and we have never been busier.

This year we will ship over €1'000'000 into China with another €1'000'000 into other Far Eastern markets.

Thanks all for your input. Paddy199 is spot on. I want a business idea for a factory I own. I just think the Irish EU market could be ripe again. People may be predisposed to support Irish/EU products and the jobs they provide.
I have tried the importing route for some consumer goods. When you assess the costs and rewards against the risk it is not really worth it. The biggest obstacle is that the distributioin chain for quality products is tied up.
Similarly, as QED points out, high end will want a proven track record. To be honest, we are not able to demonstrate that we can operate at that end.
We need to find a new niche and fill it.

You need to identify the quality certification for the market you are looking at and have it in place before you start. I'd look to poach a sales manager from an existing company and get them in as a partner.

Back