management fee query

mackers1001

Hi there, I own a one bedroom apartment in a complex with a mix of one bedroom and two bedroom. I pay the same management service fee ,is this normal or indeed fair?

It would be unusual for a one bed to pay the same rate as a two bed. Usually the management fee is apportioned on a square footage basis in apartment complexes.

It depends where you are, the sq footage should be the key here and you should pay less than larger units but here in LaLa Land with owners not always staying current on fees, units in arrears, owners behind on mortgage payments and so on a lot of management companies are happy to apportion per door and keep the showon the road.

Bring it up at your next meeting, you are not wrong in what you say.

Look at the lease first. Our lease apportions the service charge according to the number of bedrooms and also if a penthouse.

Last edited:
Look at the lease first. Our lease apportions the service charge according to the number of bedrooms and also if a penthouse.

As per jdwex, the lease details the responsibilities of each apartment owner, including service charge apportionment so its vital you get a copy and have a read of it.
(its in your deeds so either request a copy from your solicitor or bank, if held as security)

Can management not get a "debt order"(don't know legal term) put on an apartment/dwelling that owes legal fees to it? It means a sale cannot go through if the debt is outstanding.

I sold an apartment a few years ago, my management company had to confirm to buyer’s solicitor that all fees were up to date. If I owed fees, sale would have not progressed until paid.

There are currently mixed blocks of 1 & 2 bed new apartments for sale near me, management service fees are €1.5K for 1 bed and €1.9K for 2 bed.

One prospective buyer at the open viewing was dissatisfied as the ground floor 2 bed he was interested in had the same service fee as the 5th floor 2 bed, arguing he should pay less as he will never use the expensive lifts, a reasonable argument. The agent was having none of it though, pointing out he will likely use the grounds a lot more than the 5th floor resident.

Last edited:

How badly informed are buyers to even think this is an argument, I've said it many times so many people don't understand their obligations buying in a multi unit dwelling, great if run well and fees reasonable and they suit many people but do some research in advance to avoid obvious issues after a move in.

If a debt is outstanding then it should not close without being cleared however I know of one case where it did and the managing agent chased the new owner for it without success mind you.