Malta in May accomadation and areas

Luckycharm

I am going to a wedding at the end of May in St Julians, Malta, I have never been so don't know it at all. Probally going to go for a week and will bring our 2 young kids. From what I can see St Julians does not have a beach. The wedding will be one day in St julians so don't necessarily have to base ourselves there.
Would a self service appartment be our best bet as a hotel could be quite pricey - any recommendations. Also where should be base ourselves - would like to be near a beach if possible but not too far from St Julians - is there beach areas near by?
Any recommendations welcome.

There are private hotel beaches in St Julian as far as I know. The SAS Hotel in St.Julian is excellent.
We spent 2 weeks there in October last year and it was just fantastic. I did not find the hotel expensive at all. What is your ballpark budget?

There are private hotel beaches in St Julian as far as I know. The SAS Hotel in St.Julian is excellent.
We spent 2 weeks there in October last year and it was just fantastic. I did not find the hotel expensive at all. What is your ballpark budget?

€500/600 maybe more for the week I was thinking - not sure exactly how long I will be there as flights are not available yet.

After the wedding you could go over to the island of Gozo. Its only 25 minutes on their very large ferry. Gozo is fantastic. It is much more laid- back than Malta (Malta is pretty crowded) and has some excellent beaches. The people are really friendly. Ramla Bay is one of the good beaches. Also you should visit Xlendi Bay, it is like a village in the south of Italy overlooking a bay, only with a nicer atmosphere... It's great.

Many people stay in apartments. I know of one excellent apartment complex (3 and 4 bedrooms) with a large pool in the central courtyard. The pool is brilliant for kids and ther is a baby pool beside it. It is in the middle of the countryside mind. Not much around it. It is located about 10 minutes outside the capital of Victoria. It is called Villagg Tal Fanal.
It will be pretty hot at the end of May. Make sure you get an apartment or hotel room with air-con. If you visit Gozo you will definitely need a car.

I have not stayed in the SAS St Julians but I have heard that it is very good, also for children .

i'd second Gozo,
I’ve been over twice and both times only spent a couple of days on Malta , Valetta is nice (check out the restaurant Fusion 4) as is Mdina which is a beautiful walled town and well worth the visit. Asides from that I found Malta to be completely over-developed with very slow busses and very expensive taxis and generally unfriendly locals.
Gozo is a far better place to stay, Xlendi Bay is a lovely base, St. Patricks Hotel is a great 4 star hotel looking right over the bay, rooms are usually about 50-70 per night. If you’re in to diving or cliff walks Xlendi will suit, Ramla Bay is a stunning beach and well worth passing your afternoons here. The capital town on Gozo is called Victoria and is a great little spot and you’ll wander around here aimlessly without noticing time pass by.
However the most important thing to do on Gozo is go to Ta Frenc for dinner, best meal I’ve ever eaten, flambe prawns in pernod! Stunning (this restaurant is about the same price as a Dublin restaurant whereas most regular restaurants are much cheaper)

Word of warning about gozo’s famous ‘farmhouses’ – they’re a big selling point for the island but be warned they’re not even in the countryside, generally down lanes in the different towns.

Hi
Gozo is great, is there stuff to do for a week? I'd say 5 days anyhow. Its a sleepy sort of place., very laid back and relaxed. Its nice and friendly for kids and there are a few decent sandy beaches , it is certainly more family friendly and much less crowded than Malta.

As Bamboozle said, the farmhouses are not as we know then. They are basically standalone villas, often with their own pool Beware, the pool are plunge pools and very deep, and often located right beside the villa just outside the dining room., so really unsuitable for young kids. Better to go for a hotel or apartmejnt complex with its own pool and maybe a baby poo.

The Kempinski St Lawrenz is supposed to be good. The Hotel Calypso is also supposed to be good, very good value and not far from a good beach.

Did I mention it is hot? Very hot. It is very close to North Africa after all. Make sure you take strong sun cream protection for the kids.
HTH

Obviously I mean baby POOL....

To answer your question, of course you could base yourself there. It has lots of hotel and apartments.

here is a travel review of Gozo from the Irish Times May 12 2008.

[broken link removed]

and one called "Go slow in Gozo" from Brendan O' Connor of the Irish Independent (and You're A Star judge, if that is a claim to fame..). He travelled with wife and new baby so was looking closely at the family-friendly apsects of the island.
He stayed in the " five-star Hotel Kempinski San Lawrenz, Gozo, offering spectacular pools, luxurious rooms, plus a wellness centre and spa".

[broken link removed]

I will have to get out my map and have a look at Gozo, heat is not a real issue as my wife is an Ozzie (lack of it here is). Thanks for the advice