Male Barber Shop - Need Your Opinion

@

@v8ter

Hey guy’s and girl’s just a quick question to pick your brains… I was thinking of opening a male barber shop in a very busy cork area with high footfall passing the door. This would be along the lines of a Turkish barber’s i.e high quality hair cut with all the extras. What I need to know really is, are fella’s still going to get there hair cut as much with all this recession going on ? I would be particularly interested in anyone who might be currently involved in running a male barbers, just so I can ask one or two questions. I haven’t really worked out the pricing per haircut yet but a normal dry cut will be in the region of €15. Do you think is a reasonable price to pay ? I currently go to a Turkish barbers in Cork City which seems to be doing pretty ok, the only thing is parking is nonexistent and if you do manage to find a place chances are you will be clamped or towed. It is a real hassle getting in there but the only thing that keeps me going back there is the quality of service, it really feels like you get your moneys worth and that was at €17. The place I am thinking of has a footfall of a few thousand a day with a lot of free parking. Personally I think it’s a winner as there is no other direct competition in the location only a real upmarket female hairdressers (€40 per dry cut) which I’m sure most fella’s wouldn’t really go to. I would be very grateful for all your opinions and help, and sorry for going on so long ;-)

Can't help other than as a customer of my local Turkish barbers. It's €17 for dry cut. Moved there from another barber couple yrs ago when they opened and find them great. Definitely good service and price. Think €15 good price for Cork city.

Should have said, that barbers is always busy, usually 3-4 on and on weekends up to 6 cutting and has been that way since the start a couple of years ago. This also allowing for the fact that there are at least 3 other mens barbers in the town.

I can tell you, if I tried to bring my son's into a ladies hair dresser to have a hair cut, they'd have a fit. I'm sure ladies hair dressers can cut men and boys hair very well but my kids would have non of it! We go to a barbers in Wexford where there is quiet a few barber shops, and we always have to wait in line..regardless of recession men and boys still need a hair cut.. what's the alternitive..a pudding bowl and scissors at home? I don't think so.

I pay €14 in Wiseguys in the Midleton shopping centre. I also give a tip. @V8ter, if you are thinking of setting up in a shopping centre I wouldn't be surprised if any existing hairdresser has an exclusivity deal with the shopping centre owners. That said, in Midleton shopping centre there are two hairdressers..Wiseguys and a ladies place (that I would never go into).

I go to a barber in Drogheda. He reckons he's seen very little drop in business since the recession hit. He sees his business as being relatively recession-proof (okay - nothing is recession-proof but you get his meaning...).

He cuts then washes my hair for €15 and half the time I'll give him an extra €5 as he does do a good job.

I say go for it. I think there is always a living out there for people who are willing to offer good service.