Malahide

S

Silvester

Hi, I'm thinking of coming over from London next week to see 3 properties in Malahide, but I would be grateful if I could get some info before I make up my mind on whether they're worth viewing.

Are Robswall, Oak Hall and Seafield Court within a reasonable walking distance of the Dart Station and local shops?

Thanks
Sylvia

Of them all, Seafield Court would be the closest to the train station at a walk of max. 10 mins.
Next Oak Hall, which is approx 12 mins walk (downhill) but longer on the way home in the evening - can be a bit of a trek.
Finally, Robswall which would be hitting the 20 min mark.
HTH

was in Malahide 2 weekends ago and there is a lot for sale (especially in the newer estates). whether this is a real slowdown or just buyers holding off before the budget it would appear that for the moment the buyers have the upper hand.

Interesting, JohnBoy. Our ideal is Marina Village, 3 bed with good sea view, but nothing has come on for months. Loads of them are rented out. If we like one of the ones mentioned above, I think we might chance putting in an offer of 10% below asking price.

Seafield court is by far the closet to the village/dart - its no more than 5 mins from the village/dart (walk from there myself every day), nice estate very quiet, houses aren't the most beautiful but are well built. Robswall is nice - you might get a sea view depending on the property , bit of a trek to the village though. BTW I'd go for seafield court over the marina - much quieter.

M

Thanks for that, MM3. Husband wants his sea view, and adv for Seafield Court said it had estuary view, so we shall see!

Silvester, having lived in the Marina I have to say they are not all they are cracked up to be! Personally I would also plump for Seafield Court over all the previously mentioned estates.

mo3art, the consensus here is for Seafield Court! I've booked my flight and will see on Friday...

PS. mo3art, if you don't mind me asking, what didn't you like about the marina?

agree with mo3art about the Marina, fancied it for a while and viewed 3 or 4 - 2 beds in there, the development is starting to look and feel its age now. Wouldnt be overly impressed with upkeep of common areas

Well I found that the walls were paper thin - i lived in an apartment and could hear the alarm clock go off in the duplex house below in the mornings!
Common issues were parking and management fees. You could have to replace windows as many were wooden frame which haven't weathered very well in the sea air & as mentioned, the common areas are beginning to look shabby.
Family of mine lived in Seafield Court until a few years back and I always thought it was lovely. The houses are compact but very pretty and well suited to couples/small families.

I viewed one of the double-fronted semis in Oak Hall.
From the outside it looked impressive but inside it was very cramped and there was no storage. The front hall was about 5ftx4ft.
Leave the cat in London

CharlieC, I don't know what it is about Irish builders. I think they have been taking a leaf out of Michael O'Leary's hymnbook: don't bring any luggage. I looked at a very expensive apt in Old Quay, Sutton last spring. Entire storage consisted of 2 wardrobes and a very small hot press. Nowhere to put an ironing board, hoover, bike etc. Never mind the cat. Zilch storage in the apt and unlike in say, the US, they build them with no storage room in the building or even a barna shed outside. Pathetic for the price, but agent assured me the even more expensive ones had more storage, but the 2 bed I viewed was already 830k (and at the time the prices were all over the place, they had just been launched and the builders were plucking figures out of the air).
Beautiful finish though, lovely high coved ceilings and solid wood floors.

PS CharlieC, are you looking to buy in Malahide yourself?

Syl,

My sister was and am familar with the area. All places mentioned are nice and you should be able to secure somewhere under the asking price

Hi there

I just moved into Robswall recently. I have to say that so far I'm very happy with it. The houses have been finished to a very high standard and the soundproofing seems up to standard (baby in house next door, so if it wasn't, I'd know all about it!). The proximity to the beech is a nice bonus too.

The duplex units are good and spacious with good storage in both bedrooms, however downstairs there's no storage for the hoover, ironing board, etc, however I can live with that.

Good luck with your search...

Yogi