Malaga...short city break

Jetblue

Hi,
We're going on a 3 day break to Malaga city next week. Would anyone care to advise me on restaurants, things to do etc? Not going to hire a car.
Also we have narrowed down the choice of hotels to two. Hotel malaga Centro or Silken Puerta Malaga. Has anybody used either of these before?

Malaga city has improved a lot in the last few years but is still quite an industrial city. The Picasso muesum would be would a visit ( [broken link removed] ) and shopping in the likes of Zara, Sisley is better than Ireland.

It might be worth reconsidering hiring a car. There are some good places worth a visit if you have a car. Seville and Granada are within driving distance for a day trip... as are the likes of Puerto Banus and Marbella (only about 30 mins away)

I haven't heard of the hotels you mention, so can't advise.

Last edited:
I second Patricia's comments. If weather good then a walk up the hill to Gibralfaro castle with great views is worth a couple of hours along with the palace complex of alcazaba . The centre of M is small but with its narrow streets, main shopping street and amazing cathedral is worth some hours.
if you hate driving you can catch a train to seville and/or Granda.

Hi Jet Blue - we are off to Malaga next week too - beware the weather looks cold according to forecast!! Not what i was hoping for at all.

We have nothing booked either going to wing it gotta be lots of accomadation this time of the year (better be!)

Thanks to Patricia and oldnick for your comments.
Yaeger, I've found a reasonable city guide on Ryanair.com, offers plenty for a short stay anyway.
Both the hotels I've mentioned are about €60 per night for the room and after paying €110 for a cold room in a Mullingar hotel recently I'm not gonna crib about that. The Silken is near the train stn, the Centro is more "centro". If the days are dry, a little sunny (please!) and above 12 deg I'll be very very happy. Galway is very cold, dark and wet right now!
Hope you have a nice break!

I didnt have time to say more this am but to add my comment on trains....
if you are in malaga and the weather is crap (though it doesn't look that bad next week -late teens and sunny-ish).. grab a train to Seville.

every couple of hours and it takes 2 to 2.5 hours.
Strangely the non-change train is slower. the train that changes at Cordoba is quicker.

I'd recommend -take the 09.00 train to Seville arrives 11.00.
(change at Cordoba for a few mins)

Seville really is one of Spains greatest cities. Well worth a day. Actually worth a few days. Fantastic walking city
train station is 15 mins walk from the start of the interesting part. Grab a free map at station tourist office.

As a bonus get off at Cordoba station - 30 mins walk from the fabulous mosque plus the old city. Probably better en route to seviile rather than coming back as mosque closes in evening (it's not a mosque any more- just an amazing historical building-cum-church).

Always check seat availability the day before. Last time I went to Seville station to return to Malaga the trains were full. Four sodding hours on bus with angry wife and in-laws, cursing their know-it-all travel agent son in law who said trains always have seats at mid-week !

Granada is very difficult by train from Malaga. Worth doing as part of tour excursion so they can get you into the Alhambra.

P.S. Ski slopes now open 30 miles from Malaga..

Oh you lucky thing! I love Malaga.

The city has everything, shops, culture, architecture and a beach area too. Very like Barcelona would have been before the stag parties I think, and much underrated too.

For three days, I would take a hotel in the city centre as near as possible to Larios Street, the main shopping area and near the Cathedral etc. Do the shopping, Picasso museum, Gibralfaro, and the beach. By the time you have done all that you will need a tapa!

Have a look at this for a few ideas

[broken link removed]

Back