Malaga airport to Marbella

scatriona

Hi

Apart from taxis, what is alternative way to get from Malaga airport to Marbella old town? Is there public transport, coaches etc?

thanks

There's a regular enough bus service, although I'm not 100% on whether it'll drop you right into the old town or not.
[broken link removed]

I think the airport bus only goes to the bus station in Marbella and not into the Old Town itself. There's a taxi rank outside the station though. Buses seemed very frequent from the airport

I think the airport bus only goes to the bus station in Marbella and not into the Old Town itself. There's a taxi rank outside the station though. Buses seemed very frequent from the airport

That's right, I've been on it. The direct coach heads non - stop to Marbella bus station. Here's the [broken link removed] and the journey costs €3.92. The op could always get a taxi from Marbella bus station to the old town. AFAIK the bus that Alfuera is referring to goes along the main street in Marbella and thus very close to the old town but there are numerous stops along the way and from personal experience the traffic in Fuengirola and Torremolinos, which this bus also passes through, can be brutal. The non-stop coach doesn't go near the costas at all.

Just back from Marbella last week. We had planned to get the bus from the airport to Marbella bus station too to avoid the large taxi fare (€ 66) .

However, arriving in Malaga airport is a nitemare. The baggage reclaim area is crazy. No airconditioning and there was the luggage of 3 flights on our carrousel. After waiting at the carrouel for approx 40 mins to get our bags feeling like a tinned sardeen, we made our way out of arrivals where the buses and taxis go from. This is like an undergound area and quite claustophobic, especially with the heat. It reminded me of arrivals in Bangkok airport.

After all of this and we saw a queue for the bus, we jumped into the nearest cab and were in Marbella in approx 35 mins.

I just have to say that it was my first time in Marbella. I have been in Fuengirola, Calahonda and Torremollinos before and did not find Marbella to be any nicer than these. Granted, Puerto Banus is an eye opener. But I expected Marbella to have pristine beaches and clean classy walkways with fancy bars where the celebs hangout. I have to say that I found it more like Ballymun in the Sun with thoses disgusting dated high rise apartments overlooking the dirty looking beaches. Palma Nova in Mallorca is 10 times nicer, clean beaches with white sand and few high rise apartments.

When you leave the exit hall at Malaga airport cross through the multi storey car park, turn right and head to the corner of the car park. Walk across the pedestrian bridge and another 50 yds or so will bring you to the train stop. Buy your train ticket from the machine and get train to Fuengirola. At Fuengirola either get a taxi the rest of the way to Marbella or go to bus station, next door to train station, and get local bus to Marbella.
Where are you staying when you get there?

Staying in a 2* in Old Town. Any recommendations for decent seafood restaurant, good bars or a place to watch the Rugby World Cup Opening ceremony?

Thanks!
S