Making a Will but unable to travel

MUM2KIDS

My parents want to make a Will but unfortunately due to poor health my Mother is unable to leave the house ( she is bed ridden). There are four siblings and I think it would be wise to use a Solicitor to draw the Will and my Dad is ok to go a solicitor and sign. My question is can we use a solicitor if Mum cant travel and in the current circumstances no one can come to the house. She is full of mind but just physically cant leave the house. Thanks in advance of your feedback..

Do your parents have their own solicitor?

If yes, have your Dad call them and see what provision they are making for clients in the current circumstances.

Most solicitors will take instructions over the phone and will travel to clients ( while social distancing) to have the will executed or, alternatively, will set out the protocol for neighbours or friends to witness.

If your parents don't have their own solicitor, do any of their offspring have one? In which case, have them make that call.

If you are one of those families who are non-litigious (and there are some out there)- at worst, on the death of either parent, the offspring can deal with the deceased's estate by disclaiming any share on intestacy.

mf

The solicitor doesnt need to enter the house. All that he/she has to do is see your Mother sign the document and then he and the other witness can sign off. She could be at a window or in the porch and the solicitor 10 feet away.

The solicitor doesnt need to enter the house.

As MF1 has pointed out, the solicitor does not need to be there at all.

They can draft the will and send it to the person making the will.

The person making the will can then ask two neighbours to witness her signing it.

Brendan

As MF1 has pointed out, the solicitor does not need to be there at all.

They can draft the will and send it to the person making the will.

The person making the will can then ask two neighbours to witness her signing it.

Brendan
I accept that but I would rather have some professional/employee of the solicitors firm witness the signature than involving a neighbour.
I have seen too many instances of involvement of "friends" or neighbours leading to trouble

The Law Society has detailed guidelines on this very situation. Mention it to your solicitor. [broken link removed]

Back