Making a Statement about not Making a Statement

mathepac

A couple of weeks ago at the Waterford Road roundabout on the Kilkenny ring road I witnessed an appalling piece of driving where a white van carrying roofing ladders shot straight through the roundabout ignoring the right of way of two cars approaching from the right. The driver was on the phone, face obscured by the phone and the cover. I got the reg and at the first opportunity phoned the local Guards with as much detail as I could.

I got a call back from the Guards saying they had failed to intercept the van and thus were not in a position to identify the driver. They did provide the information that the van was registered in the name of a woman. I was asked if I wanted to make a statement and initially I said yes, but on mature reflection I decided it was a waste of time. I could not provide a description of the driver although my initial impressions were of a male, and because the van hadn't been stopped, we had no idea as to the identity of the driver on the day.

The Guard concerned then informed that she required me to make a statement to her about not making a statement, the first time I've ever heard of this being a requirement in law.

Anyone else experience this latest bureaucratic make-work nonsense?

You've been asked by an officer of the court to make a statement on an incident and have declined to do so. It would be my view that the garda in question wants that refusal in writing.

I was aked *IF* I wanted to make a statement and changed my mind as there was little or no point as no prosecution would ensue. The chances of identifying the driver were and still are slim to none.

A couple of weeks ago at the Waterford Road roundabout on the Kilkenny ring road I witnessed an appalling piece of driving where a white van carrying roofing ladders shot straight through the roundabout ignoring the right of way of two cars approaching from the right. The driver was on the phone, face obscured by the phone and the cover. I got the reg and at the first opportunity phoned the local Guards with as much detail as I could.

I got a call back from the Guards saying they had failed to intercept the van and thus were not in a position to identify the driver. They did provide the information that the van was registered in the name of a woman. I was asked if I wanted to make a statement and initially I said yes, but on mature reflection I decided it was a waste of time. I could not provide a description of the driver although my initial impressions were of a male, and because the van hadn't been stopped, we had no idea as to the identity of the driver on the day.

The Guard concerned then informed that she required me to make a statement to her about not making a statement, the first time I've ever heard of this being a requirement in law.

Anyone else experience this latest bureaucratic make-work nonsense?
Its a wrap the incident up exercise to cover the Garda from a disciplinary charge.
If her Supervisor asks her "Whats happening with that dangerous driving report?" She can say the complainant declined to make a statement. Otherwise someone could say that she fixed it up as a favour.
People want accountability then they must accept this

You are under no obligation to make a statement confirming that you do not wish to make a statement about the incident you witnessed.

I could start quoting Heller but if I do people will think I'm just using Google (I would be just using Google)... but if I don't people will think I only know a couple of books he wrote (I do only know two)... it's a Catch 22.

I could start quoting Heller but if I do people will think I'm just using Google (I would be just using Google)... but if I don't people will think I only know a couple of books he wrote (I do only know two)... it's a Catch 22.
We already suspect you are just using Google and you don't even have to pay for using it;)
Now don't come looking for me to make another statement ,:p

Just to clarify something.

In RTA type prosecutions most offences require evidence of driving.
I infer from OP's honest observation that he would not be able to identify the driver beyond reasonable doubt.
Therefore, OP's evidence would not assist the prosecution.
Absent any other incriminating evidence white van man gets an acquittal - in fact it would probably not get to court.

I agree with that this just looks like an exercise in tidying up the paperwork to show that all steps were taken to investigate the complaint.
There is no obligation to make a statement.
A statement about a statement is a touch Monty-Python :confused:

Back