Make wooden floor watertight

ennisjim

Hi,

I have a small (6'x8') room which I built in attic space to take plumbing/heating gear (cylinder, buffer tank, pressure pump, etc) which has now been installed. The floor and walls are OSB. To deal with any leaks or spills I put in 2 1/2" pipes from floor to soffit and tried sealing the floor with multiple coats of varnish. However, I'm not convinced that the varnish job is good enough. In particular I taped and varnished the joints (walls to floor and one joint across floor) and this does not look like it will do the job.
I was considering using a rubberised paint instead and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations/suggestions. I located the following for example but don't know if it's any good [broken link removed]

Thanks

This seems a bit OTT to be honest, plumbing installations should not leak if they are correctly installed, are you worried about damage from frost?

Hi Carpenter, maybe I am being a bit over cautious. On the other hand there may be times in the future when some maintenance is needed, eg. drain down parts of the system to replace things (eg. there are a lot of motorised valves in the system).

Thanks aircobra19 for the suggestion. However, I'm not sure lino will work. The tanks are already installed which would make cutting the lino difficult and and I also need to seal the join between floor and walls for a few inches up the wall. Perhaps duct tape would be good enough for the joins ?

Hi Carpenter, maybe I am being a bit over cautious. On the other hand there may be times in the future when some maintenance is needed, eg. drain down parts of the system to replace things (eg. there are a lot of motorised valves in the system).

I think you are going a little over the top (just my opinion of course), a few old towels and a bucket on hand should allow any routine maintenance or replacement work to go smoothly. The only way to "waterproof" a floor is to tank it using a membrane with upstands and welded seams etc.

A bit OTT IMO...
Murphy's law... if it is to leak somewhere, it will be somewhere else than there!!!