Make and model recommendations for alarms: CO / Smoke / Heat.

Włodzimierz

Two years ago I bought 3 CO, 2 smoke and 1 heat alarm.
The brand is FireAngel.
I bought this make as it had good reviews and you can link them (ie when one sounds, the all sound).

Alas, they’ve been a nightmare. They go off at any time of day or night. Any time of year. Even in the middle of a summers day when there is no cooker/boiler/stove running, they go off.

I’m in the middle of email tennis with the makers about their guarantee, but at this stage I just don’t care.

I am going to replace them with reliable makes.
Suggestions please, dzięki.

I didn't do much research, but I've installed units from EI Electronics. It's what the electrical wholesaler had when I went looking. I've battery powered ones, they've a sealed 10 year battery. It was very easy to link them to each other, just do it before you put them up on the ceiling.

2 years installed, and never had a false alarm (only legitimate ones when food got burnt!)

Unfortunately I can't remember the price, but I know it was cheaper to buy them than getting an electricity to install wired units. But I did get them at trade price.

E.I. all of the time. Mains wired are a requirement for new homes. Check out their website as there are a couple of different ranges. They are manufactured in Shannon, Co Clare too. Not the cheapest but what price do you put on the safety of your family.

E.I. all the way. They’ve been manufacturing smoke alarms for years. It used to be the US company, General Electric, before becoming E.I. Solid and reliable.

I'm a subscriber to Which? magazine and they independently test lots of things including smoke alarms.

The top scoring ones were;
EI141RC
Fireangel ST-622
Honeywell XH100

hope that helps

I'm a subscriber to Which? magazine and they independently test lots of things including smoke alarms.

The top scoring ones were;
EI141RC
Thanks for mentioning Which?
Reminded me that E.I. are sold under the name Aico in the UK, so UK review sites and retailers will use that name. But model numbers are the same.

They’re not cheap, but I put in four Nest Protects and would recommend them. Smoke/CO/fast&slow flame detection in one. Mains and/or battery. Link together and alerts to your phones. Never had a false alarm and they escalate the alerts depending on the amount of smoke, so they’ll all speak and tell you there’s smoke in a particular area, if it continues to get worse you get a proper siren. Automated sounder tests, again with alerts to phone. They also act as proximity triggered night lights, which is actually a great feature when you come home to a dark house.

Is there any foolproof way of testing these alarms.

The test button usually does a little more than that, but likely varies by brand. You can buy aerosol cans to fully test for smoke detection. Kidde advice here.

Any of the fire safety companies will also have more advanced testing equipment. Commercial buildings need to have their systems tested regularly.

Back