Makarska,Croatia

JohnnyBoy

I booked a holiday with concorde travel(before I read the postings about them on AAM).Has anybody been to Makarska before?

I presume you read my posts about them? I hope you fare better than we did with them. I would never deal with them again or recommend anybody else to either. Once bitten etc.

went last year thru Concorde-2 centre holiday-first week Makarska.Its a nice little place-beach-as most seem to be in Croatia-very stony-no sand.Buy a pair of protective slip on shoes if swimmimg in sea.Plenty of restaurants not too dear.Some nice boatrips out to islands-don't worry you will be approached!nice day out though.
Went south to a place called Plat second week and there was an accomodation problem.Ended up with a reasonable refund and 100euro voucher from Concorde for this year.
Hope I can use it because I think I read they have been bought out by JWT? will they honour it?

pnh said:
beach-as most seem to be in Croatia-very stony-no sand.
I don't think that's quite true - many of the islands have nice sandy beaches. Korcula for one anyway. Isn't it Brac (or Hvar?) that has the famous golden one like an isthmus that features on many of the photos promoting the region?
Went south to a place called Plat second week and there was an accomodation problem.Ended up with a reasonable refund and 100euro voucher from Concorde for this year.
Quelle surprise! :(
Hope I can use it because I think I read they have been bought out by JWT? will they honour it?
Are you sure that they have been bought out? They still seem to be operating as normal in Capel Street with no sign of any takeover.

Well okay what I really meant was the two beaches we used Makarska and Plat both had stoney beaches-very uncomfortable under foot-hence the the rubber soled shoes.
I am pretty sure I read about a month ago that Concorde had been bought out by JWT-perhaps someone else can confirm that

Thanks Culchie & Clubman(I read with horror your postings about them-will let u know how I get on).BTW Culchie did you come across any opportunities to go diving there?) & did u stay in hotel dalmajica?
Bol on Brac(the famous beach) is also small pebbles,despite it looking like sand-great beach though!!

Yeah - the rubber shoes are well worth getting even if it is sandy so you don't stand on a sea urchin or the like (ouch!). :D Buy them over there as they're only about a fiver.

Can't find any mention of Concorde being taken over.

Just been speaking to my better half and she confirmes she also saw the article about the takeover so I wasnt dreaming.It was in the paper around march I think-I took particular notice because of the voucher we have.

JohnnyBoy said:
Thanks Culchie & Clubman(I read with horror your postings about them-will let u know how I get on).BTW Culchie did you come across any opportunities to go diving there?) & did u stay in hotel dalmajica?
Bol on Brac(the famous beach) is also small pebbles,despite it looking like sand-great beach though!!

[broken link removed] have diving and sailing courses in Mljet (haven't been on them).

I have a place out there not too far away, halfway between Makarska and Dubrovnik, hence I know the area well.

Most beaches are stony all down the Dalmatian coast, except for some exceptions as Clubman mentioned, although they are few and far between. It's the pebble beaches that aid the pristine water anyway.

http://www.huck-finn.hr/ might be of interest to you as well, if you're into water sports.

I'd highly recommend you hire out a car for a couple of days (approx €50 per day) and travel a bit, it's just the best country !!

Mostar in Bosnia is an essential trip, about 90 mins away.

Tucepi is well worth a visit in Makarska, as is Brela.

Enjoy !

Guys, just read with interest and now off teh phone with a former employee of their rivals, they are still operating as concorde, but JWT are running certain routes, good lord I hope not Split, it was back enough with concorde (or certain staff they had), here's hoping for better times!

Culchie is right about Mostar, very sad place and well worth a visit for it (but very pretty too!). And you can always take a walk up to see the Virgin Mary in Medugorje!

Thanks guys
I've travelled around Croatia & Bosnia 3 yrs ago,& I agree,great time when I was there previously.Had a week off next week,couldn't get flight only & just tried Concorde(into Split).
Thanks for huck-finn website,hadn't seen it before

JohnnyBoy said:
Thanks guys
I've travelled around Croatia & Bosnia 3 yrs ago,& I agree,great time when I was there previously.Had a week off next week,couldn't get flight only & just tried Concorde(into Split).
Thanks for huck-finn website,hadn't seen it before

Don't know if you booked or not yet, I'm going out on the 14th June via Budapest to Dubrovnik with Air Malev for €210 return.

Aer Lingus was pricey, as I left it late.

Hi guys
travelled with Concorde to Makarska-no problems,everything wwas fine-no complaints with company
as for Makarska-very nice,very little high rise,good value for money & dive shop outside hotel,a bit quiet in early June though

As a matter of interest, I think, now, for flights to Dubrovnik are being covered by Croatia, while the flights to Split are shared between the two, could be wrong though!

Keep an eye out for and Both of these airlines have flights to Croatia, however you will have to change in either Cologne or Bratislava. You will need to do the maths though for savings. Every week these airlines seem to have a sale on with flights from Dublin for as little as €19 including taxes etc. to their main hubs of Cologne and Bratislava.

The problem with Germanwings is an overnighter in Cologne, which is actually pretty great as the city has plenty to see and do and cheap sleeps. And if you tie in your Germanwings flight with an Aer Lingus flight to Dusseldorf you'll save money and despite the short train ride, it's all pretty comfortable.

Hi,
Anyone know the easiest way of getting from Dubrovnik to Medugorje? Is it close enough to do as a day trip?

Thanks

There are daily buses, it's a long haul. If you haven't booked yet I'd suggest (if you're looking at a day trip) to drive up, or else you'll be on a pilgrim bus. It's possible to do in a day, but in summer it's a killer. Hire a car and you can stop on the way back and enjoy a good meal and shopping.

Back