Majorca/ Soller or ?

coleen

Hi,
I am looking for a week away in May and I am considering Majorca or Italy as flights to Majorca and also to Bergamo in Italy are working out good for me. We are not beach people (we like the beach but not a sunbathing holiday) but love walking and would hire bikes for a few days and do a bit of cycling.There are just the 2 of us so no kids to consider. We would like to be in a nice size town close to beach or a lake. We would also be looking for a place with nice restaurants and bars, not lots of late nightlife but a bit of a buzz around in the evening. A friend has recommended Soller in Majorca and I am looking for other views on this. Is this a good size town ? Is it easy to get from the Airport on public transport? Is this a good place for walking cycling and scenery? We have not been to Majorca before and are favouring this over Italy. We have been to Lake Garda and enjoyed this and know that we could get there from Bergamo airport and choose a different town on the lake than we went to before. There may be other options from Bergamo that I do not know about. Any advice on either locations please

Coleen, I stayed in the Pollentia Club hotel in Mallorca a couple of years ago. It is between the the coastal towns of Peurto Pollentia and Alcudia. The reason I mention it, is that they had a cycle shop on site and were popular with cycle groups off season. If you are interested in doind some cycling on your holiday they might be worth looking at. It's a nice hotel and I've attached a link below.

http://www.clubpollentia.com/index_english.html

I spent my honeymoon on Majorca a good few years ago. We took a daytrip around the island and the highlight was the coast and scenery around Puerto Pollensa and Soller. Michael Douglas And Catherine Zeta Jones have a place nearby. It's very upmarket so may be a little expensive, but the upside is that it is far from the beach holiday crowd. Nice train from there to Palma, kinda old fashioned. Would love to go back there.

I stayed in Soller a few years back. There are two locations, Soller town and Soller port. We stayed in the port. You can get a bus from Palma bus station right to Soller Port. I really enjoyed our stay there and I am considering going back this year. There is a great market in Soller on Saturdays and you can get the old open sided wooden train back and forth. You can visit Deia and Fornalutx, two beautiful towns easily enough from Soller. Many people enjoy the walk to both.
We also went to Bergamo and onwards to Desenzano on the lake. With both Aer Lingus and Ryanair flying to Verona this year you can get to the town of Garda and Bardolino much easier. We are also considering this option.

The bus station in Palma is beside place de Espana and it is underground. Down the escalators and turn right for the buses, to the left is the trains. Or cross the road and get the old train This is a longish journey but lovely.

Back