Major problem defining exempt employment under AE scheme?

Colm Fagan

It seems that the Department of Social Welfare (DSP) faces a potentially insuperable problem in relation to defining exempt employment under the AE scheme.
The purpose of Section 51 (Exempt employment) and Section 52 (Standards for purposes of Section 51) of the AE Act is to exempt employments which offer equivalent or better benefits than will be provided under the scheme.
That could pose insuperable problems for DC (or DB) schemes where contributions (and/or benefits) are determined by reference to pensionable earnings, i.e., earnings less an offset for Social Welfare entitlement. The high-level objective of the offset is to provide an adequate pension, inclusive of the individual's state flat-rate pension entitlement.
It's many a long year since I was at the pensions coalface but I calculate that the pensionable earnings for someone in a scheme which aims to deliver a pension of 2/3 of earnings, inclusive of state flat-rate entitlement, will be earnings less €21,600 a year (€277.30*52*1.5).
Suppose the employer's contribution under an existing occupational scheme is 15% of pensionable earnings, that's equivalent to 9.6% of earnings for someone earning €60,000 a year, but it's only 4.2% of earnings for someone earning €30,000 a year. (Correct me if my sums are wrong). So, is the €60k earner exempt from mandatory inclusion in the AE scheme but the €30k earner must be included? What happens when/ if someone crosses the earnings threshold?

PS: I should have added that they don't face the same problem in the UK (or at least not to the same extent) because the UK already has an offset for flat-rate state pension entitlement. Only earnings between £6,240 and £50,270 qualify for AE.

Last edited:
Well DB schemes do not provide equivalent benefits - full stop. A lot is being left to regulations so I suppose a pragmatic approach will be taken. Irish Life have flagged for example the typical use of probation periods which would not be equivalent to AE.

Revenue collect payroll data in real time. Once they see a qualifying employee ( on age and earnings across all their employments) and don't see a pension payment via payroll or the employee claiming a pension credit for a private pension, they will tell the CPA (or whatever the current name is) to enroll the employee.

At the moment they are not interested in benefit levels. Just that an employee has a pension.

Hi @Towger If only it were that simple! Suppose the sample scheme I mentioned is non-contributory. Then, there will be no pension deduction
Them they will be auto enrolled. I don't think there are many such schemes with no contributions at all. Church of Ireland Clergy maybe, but they are on their own PRSI Class.