Mains power type in South Africa

paddyc

Hi,

Not 100% sure if this is the correct place for this question but I'll ask anyway ;-) I'm heading to South Africa in a few weeks for a holiday and was wondering as it used to be a british colony (afaik) and if so do they use the same power as us, or would I need to get an convertor plug ?

Thanks,
Paddyc

They use a different plug type - three round pins. [broken link removed]
According to same website they use: 220/230 V, 50 Hz

Last edited:
Ok thanks, I'll have a look in maplins/dixons for a couple of convertor plugs.

You'll probably buy them out there far cheaper than here. What part of SA are you going to? If it's Cape Town I'm madly jealous!

Buy your adaptors before you go. It's virtually impossible to find them there. They do sell them at the airport in Cape Town, but I only went through the shops on the departures side when I was leaving, so I don't know if you'll find them in the arrivals side.

Buy your adaptors before you go. It's virtually impossible to find them there. They do sell them at the airport in Cape Town, but I only went through the shops on the departures side when I was leaving, so I don't know if you'll find them in the arrivals side.

We bought some at the Waterfront - they were available in more than one place, but I particularly remember getting them in the Cape Mart Adventure Store on Quay Four. As far as I recall they were also available inside the V&A shopping centre in electronics shops and shops that sold luggage.

We spent one night in the City Lodge Hotel close to the Waterfront, and they had a bank of sockets in the room that would take appliances from any country. A very clever idea, I thought!

We bought one in Dublin Airport as we were heading to Krugar first & dont think they had any there ?

Not that expensive in the airport

I scoured every hardware store, electronics store and supermarket I came across in Cape Town with no joys. Possibly because I wasn't in a touristy patch.

TreeTiger sStarting off in Cape town, heading along up to Oudtshoorn, then flying from Port Eliz to Durban and going to Princes Grant for a few days. Then heading to a wedding in Philanesburg which is up past J'burg

I'm officially jealous now, paddyc. Would love to go back to South Africa. I know some people in Cape Town who love to go to Durban for holidays, they say it's much more "African" than Cape Town. But Cape Town is fabulous anyhow. Have a great time!

Back