Magnolia Paint

sheena1

I have to paint a large hall, kitchen. utility and living room and to keep costs down I am going to paint it magnolia (v. unimaginative i know!) I was wondering if anybody has an opinion on generic brands of magnolia paint. I have seen it in B&Q, €14 for 10 litres of matt or silk. Are more expensive brands worth paying that bit extra for? I have seen threads recommendinf fleetwood. Any other recommendations?

I've used the B+Q Magnolia before (silk I think) and it was fine...bit bland but did the job and was quite hardwearing and washed off without fading after many kids sticky hands being on it!!

We also used the Woodies own range of paints which found to be very good and didnt cost the earth either!

The B&Q paint was fine for us as well, don't know what the price difference between the brand names and this is, must be to cover the advertising budget.

Be a bit smarter about the paint you're using...all paint is basically white+x to give you the colour you want. I recently had to paint a lot of rooms(15) in vinyl soft sheen/matt etc and ,2.5 litres cost 25-30 Euro for any colour I wanted,bought 5 litres of white vinyl soft sheen(22 Euro) added a small tester pot(get it darker than you actually want as the white will dilute it) and mixed it until I got the colour I wanted and saved a small fortune plus the colour was what I wanted(ever painted a wall and it didn't do/look like what it said on the tin!)....basically using this method and depending on the size of your house you should get two rooms painted for the price of one.Remember that's all the brand names are doing...but they charge you twice the price for the honour of doing it for you..!There are many web sites which will give you colour mixing charts....

In simple no, the price they charge is not worth it, always use B&Q great job great price

Went to B&Q today and the paint has increased from €13.99 to €17.88 in the last week. It's still cheaper than other brands though. FYI there were several items which were more expensive at the till compared to the price advertised on the shelf. I bought five items and two were not the correct price. It's worth checking...