Magnet Networks

J

JOHNBOB50

I have just moved into a new development in Balgriffin. The entire development has been wired for Magnet Networks. The Builders brochure states that you have a choice of going with Magnet(who are very expensive) or the traditional suppliers ie, NTL & Eircom.
I have had nitemare dealings with NTL for the last two weeks to be eventually told that they cannot supply me with either cable or MMDS digital as Magnet have the monoply. I cannot go with SKY unless i have a phoneline(which i am avoiding getting to lower my outgoings).
Has anybody been in the same situation???? If so what did you do????

Thanks,

------------------------
Bored football loving male

I have a friend in a similar situation but a couple of things here...if your TV and broadband are on at the same time and you're a specific distance from the Magnet station in the estate your TV signal will be crap,I've seen what it's like when he is downloading files...
They've agreed to only provide him with broadband and phone because of this...although to make a call to him he has stop downloading and at present turn off his TV!!...but they say this will be rectified once he gets in SKY and they stop providing him with TV...
I've seen advertisements for installers of SKY who say you don't need a phone line so give them a bell...

Hi,

I have been dealing with Magnet for the past 1.5 years when I moved into a new development in Dublin 13 and have found them to be very good. Of course there are a few issues as the technology is pretty new, but however, their customer service is very friendly and responsive - a very pleasant change from the nightmares I has with eircom, Corus and NTL. They actually respond to e-mails, return calls and keep committments!

Also, if you talk to them, they will be able to work out a package that is actually chepaer then going for Sky and separate Phone / Broadband - I did this about 6 months back.

The most importnat thing is that with Magnet, I can pretty much use any point in any room for wither TV or Phone or Internet... this is great!

Hope this helps. Cheers.

I was with Magnet for 7 months and had quite the opposite experience to AK100 - they were more expensive than NTL for TV packages and while the phone line was included in the rental price, it stopped working after a couple of months. We also got BB from them and the TV and BB were constantly down, most annoyingly mostly on weekends when you could only get through to an external call centre who would leave messages for their engineers. Anyway, I've since switched to NTL for BB & TV and haven't bothered with a phone line since the one with Magnet never worked anyway, I discovered I can live without one. The other problem I had with Magnet was their customer service - they never answered the phone & rarely returned calls when messages were left. We were given a special offer for first 6 months but after the first 3 bills, the price went up to the normal packages price and when I rang to complain, I was told that BB wasn't included in the special offer. Luckily I still had the original offer on headed paper and they backed down as soon as they heard that, but I know they tried the same with others in the block.

I found them a complete nightmare and would not recommend them to anyone. NTL customer services may not be very good, but to be fair I haven't had any reason to call them.

cheers, looks like ak100 might be working for Magnet then!!!!!

Our estate was wired by Magnet and it was the main topic of conversation at the recent AGM of the Management Company.

Residents are extremely unhappy at the quality of service offered to date. Poor TV reception, regular breakdowns, billing irregularities and much more.

The customer service team is always polite when you actually manage to get through to them but this doesn't translate into quality service.

Hi Johnbob50,

Thanks for your comment that I might be working for Magnet...

You had asked for an opinion and I responded with mine - just becase my experience was differnet from yours or another does not necessarily mean I have ties with Magnet. If you ask for an opinion, donot expect to hear only what you want to hear.

I know of others who have similar opinions as mine... Kindly refrain from making sweeping remarks and Just for the records, I have nothing to do with Magnet... other than the fact that I am a happy customer.

Cheers!

johnbob50,

In fairness to ak100, if he worked for Magnet I'd expect him to be able to spell Chorus properly......

r2d2

Back