Magnet Broadband

Ualtar

I am working from home. I have changed my internet provider and decided on Magnet Networks.

I contacted them on September 10th and explained my connection problems with Vodafone. I asked if I had to cancel Vodafone's service before and when they would come to activate the internet because I had to program myself so I couldn't be without internet and unable to work.

I didn't have to cancel Vodafone. I received a welcome email. On September 14th an engineer came to activate the phone line. The modem arrived by mail because of COVID restrictions. Today September 17th another engineer came to my house to activate the internet. I handed over the modem to him who already replied that he doesn't set the modem and that I should do it on my own. Magnet charged me 70 euros fees installation.

I imagined that the Magnet modem would be placed in the same place where Vodafone's has always been. The engineer explained that these are different structures and that the Magnet's modem uses only the telephone line. The modem is on the floor next to the main door where the telephone line socket is located. I couldn't get the signal anywhere and decided to put the Magnet's modem on the wall although it couldn't get too high due to the length of the cables.

Picture 1 - [broken link removed]
Picture 2 - [broken link removed]

As a result, my desk in the living room does not pick up the signal from the WiFi network, nor does my mobile. I called Magnet and explained exactly what I wrote here. The signal is bad and to improve the signal quality the line socket should be changed elsewhere. An extra expense and hassle that I don't want.

In the Magnet contract it says that I have 7 days cooling off period to cancel.
9.2 Under SI 207/2001EC (Protection of Consumer in respect of contracts made by means of distance communication) you have 7 days cooling off period from the date that you signed up to our service in which to cancel this agreement.

Is this period calculated from my first contact with them on the 10th or from today when the line was activated?
Has anyone ever been through anything like this? Any idea how to sort out this issue?

Thanks in advance for all advice.

Ualtar

@Ualtar
Have you a network cable ? If so, can you plug that into the router / modem and then into your laptop (don't have wireless connection at this point) and check that you have internet access. If so, then run a broadband speedtest.

From near the router, say in the hall, using your phone or laptop (i'd suggest the laptop), connect wirelessly to the router and check if you have internet access.

Where does the signal drop if you move away from the router? Can you check the signal lights on the router itself, what are they displaying?

Back