Maeve Binchy - RIP 30 July 2012

becky

I was a little sad to hear this.

I read Echos at the age of 15 or so and remember being engrossed in it. I was astounded that I got through such a thick book because like now my attention span was short. If I tried to read it now I think it would take me two years.

I then went on to read light a penny candle, the lilac bus and a few more. I haven't read much of her stuff recently but Echos will always be the first grown up book I read without having to.

May she rest in peace.

I know her books were probably not meant for male readership (maybe they were!) but I really enjoyed them, even though I would not admit to any male friends growing up that I did read them.

I liked the time period she wrote about (40s/50s/60s) and the slower pace of life.

The fact that she could sell so many books without having to litter them with sex, violence and carnage is a reflection of what a good writer she was.

RIP. I met her once and she was lovely. I remember her newspaper articles where she used to eavesdrop on people in restaurants and on buses and report the conversations. They were brilliant. She was a really engaging writer with a great human touch.

A wonderful author, her earlier work used to move me to tears.

RIP.

I agree, she could descibe the politics and relationships in rural areas that I understood and could relate to but could never have put into words. The Glass Lake, Echoes and Light a Penny Candle were three beautifully written books.

RIP. I met her once and she was lovely. I remember her newspaper articles where she used to eavesdrop on people in restaurants and on buses and report the conversations. They were brilliant. She was a really engaging writer with a great human touch.
I also had the pleasure of meeting her once. A very talented lady, I am saddened to hear of her death, may she rest in peace.